Chapter One

Chapter One

"Freshman. Tons and tons of fresh men," I scrunched my nose up in disgust at Lydia as we stand by our lockers the next day at school.

This morning Allison had taken both of us to school considering Lydia's car is now in repair. "You mean fresh boys," Allison puts a book in her locker. Lydia looked at Allison. "Lydia, they're 14."

Lydia waved it off. "Eh, some are more mature than others."

"You know, its okay to be single," Allison added. "Focus on yourself for a while, work on becoming being a better person."

Lydia chuckled and looked down at the floor for a second before looking back up at Allison. "Allison, I love you. So if you need to do that thing where we talk about me and pretend we're not actually talking about you, it's totally fine." Allison chuckled. "But, I don't want a boyfriend." Lydia placed a hand on the locker and looked at a boy that walked by. "I want a distraction."

As if on cue, two twins decked wearing leather jacket, black jeans, white t-shirt, and holding a  motorcycle helmet each walked down the halls. And they so happened to be blonde too.

"Brothers?" Allison asks, looking at them as well. We all were.

Lydia smirks. "Twins."

——

9 AM on the dot, we walked into English class. Allison and I had a very similar timetable this year. Lydia had English with us too, and we walked in, students were piling in.

Allison had found a seat and I awkwardly made my way to an empty seat. There was a free one. "Is anyone sitting here-" I cut myself off, realising it was Stiles that I was asking to sit in front of. "You."

Stiles sat up, leaning forward. "Yeah," he answered softly, looking at me. "That seats is, um... Free," I smiled lightly and put my stuff on the seat before taking the seat. I put my bag on the floor and got my books out, laying it all out on my desk.

That's when everyone's phones went off, like everyone else, I took out my phone to see what was going on.

"The offing was barred by a black bank of clouds and the tranquil waterway, leading to the uttermost ends of the earth flowed sombre under an overcast sky, seemed to lead into the heart of an immense Darkness," our English teachers walked in and she walked over to the desk and looked up the phone.

"This is the last line to the first book we are going to read." She continued. "It is also the last text you will receive in this class. Phones off, everyone." Like everyone else, I turned my phone off and shoved it in my pocket.

She introduced herself as Ms. Blake, our reliever English teacher. She spoke and did write some things on the board, before getting us to do an activity in some books, it grew silent.

"Mr. McCall?" I looked up like almost everyone else did. Scott packed up his things and got up, walking out with Ms. Blake into the hallway.

Soon, I heard Stiles talk to Lydia quietly. "Hey. Lydia. What is that? Is that from the accident?" I kept my head down.

"No. Prada bit me." Lydia responses in a hushed voice.

"Your dog?" Stiles questions, sounding shocked.

"No, my designer handbag." She responded sarcastically. "Yes, my dog."

"Has it ever bitten you before?" Stiles continues.

"Nuh-uh," Lydia answers.

"Okay," Stiles begins in a hushed voice. "What if it's like the same thing with the deer? Ya know, like, how animals start acting weird right before an earthquake or something."