Chapter Forty-One

Chapter Forty-One

I stared straight ahead as I sat on the couch in Sheriff Stilinski's office, with Scott and Isaac either side me, on Scott's side sat Lydia.

Nobody said anything. For the first time I think, ever, nobody has any words to say.

The death of Allison Argent. That's why I know nobody wants to speak. All of us had some special connection to Allison in a way, we all loved her.

We had to make up a lie about her death. We had to sugar coat it.

There were two of them. They tried to steal our car. They wore masks. I think one of them had a knife.

Uncle Chris told us if we get confused, we always say 'it happened so fast'. I had rehearsed this lie over and over in my head and in some ways, I'm trying to pretend that this was the actual story.

"Can you remember anything else?" Parrish had asked, who was leaning against the desk as we all sat in silences. "Isaac?"

"I'm sorry," Isaac whispered emotionally, gazing down at the floor. "It just happened so fast." Sheriff Stilinski had placed a hand on his back supportively.

——

"Stiles and Kira said that it was Nemeton that kept it trapped," Scott explained that night as we entered in the back of the animal clinic with Deaton and Lydia.

"The problem is this isn't even a person you're fighting," Deaton tells us. "It just looks like one. It's a spirit that's taken the shape of a human."

"The shape of my best friend." Scott had whispered.

"Someone caught it once," Lydia recalls beside me. "Someone can do it again, right?"

Deaton shakes his head. "I don't know. This thing was trapped a long time ago before the Nemeton was cut down. It doesn't have the same power anymore."

"Is there anything else that does?" Scott had questioned.

"Possibly," Deaton nods. "When the tree was whole, its wood was sometimes used to contain powerful objects. But those objects were very rare."

"Wait a second." Lydia jumps in. "Powerful objects?" She gives off a knowing look. "Like an Alpha's claws?"

"Which Alpha?" Deaton asked Lydia, looking at her.

Lydia looked at me, pressing her lisp together. "Talia Hale." We all gave her a bewildered look, she had crossed her arms. "Peter had them in this wooden box with a triskele carved on the lid. What if it was made from the Nemeton?"

"It was," Deaton had gulped.

Scott looked over at Deaton quickly. "How do you know?"

"Because I made it," he admitted sheepishly, giving us a guilty look.

Scott had quickly called Derek, telling him everything that we had just heard. Scott soon pulled down the phone. "Derek's got the triskele box. He's gonna meet us." Scott explained.

Suddenly, Lydia had stumbled backwards, her eyes fluttering shut for a moment before opening them again. "What's wrong?" Deaton questions, concerned laced in his voice.

"Something's happening." Lydia looked at Scott with wide eyes. "I had this sudden rushing feeling like we're running out of time."

Chills sent through my body, no, we can't run out of time. "Yeah," we all looked over and saw that the real Stiles had unwrapped himself from Kira's hold. "Yeah, I kind of got that feeling, too."

——

We had pulled up to the school in Stiles' Jeep, we all got out and Stiles had stumbled to the rails. Quickly, I had made him wrap an arm around me, making sure he's stable and pulled him along to the school.