━ 7 | Practise With Oliver

❝You cheated.❞
❝You started it!❞

DRACO COULDN'T BELIEVE HIS EYES when he saw that Nova, Harry, and Ron were still at Hogwarts the next day, looking tired but perfectly cheerful

By the next morning, the trio thought that meeting the three-headed dog had been an excellent adventure and was quite keen on having another one. In the meantime, Nova and Harry had filled Ron in about the package that seemed to have been moved from Gringotts to Hogwarts.

"It's either really valuable or really dangerous," Ron had said.

"Or both," said Harry, and Nova had nodded, "Yeah, I'm betting on both."

But since all they knew for sure about the mysterious object was that it was about two inches long, they didn't have much chance of guessing what it was without further clues.

Neither Neville nor Hermione showed the slightest interest in what lay underneath the dog and the trapdoor. All Neville cared about was never going near the dog again, which Nova found to be reasonable. 

Hermione was also refusing to speak to Nova, Harry, and Ron, but the boys found her to be such a 'bossy know-it-all' that they saw it as a bonus.

Nova, on the other hand, was quite upset about this. She and Hermione had gotten along quite well since the start of the year and she was starting to consider her a real friend. But now that Hermione wasn't talking to her, she no longer had someone to enthuse with about lessons or some random book she read.

Harry and Ron tried to get her mind off of it by thinking of ways to get back at Draco, and to their great delight, such a thing arrived in the mail about a week later.

As the owls flooded into the Great Hall, everyone's attention was caught at once by two long, thin packages tied together carried by six large screech owls. Nova was just as interested as everyone else to see what was in these large parcels.

Nova and Harry were amazed when the owls soared down and dropped them right in front of them, knocking Harry's bacon to the floor. They had hardly fluttered out of the way when another owl dropped a letter on top of the two parcels.

Harry ripped open the letter first, and Nova leaned closer to read it from over his shoulder.

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCELS AT THE TABLE.
It contains your new Nimbus Two Thousands, but I don't want everybody knowing you've got broomsticks or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you both tonight on the Quidditch pitch at seven o'clock for your first training session.

Professor M. McGonagall

Harry had difficulty hiding his glee as he handed the note to Ron from across the table. He and Nova looked at each other with excitement as they waited for Ron to read the note.