Canned food

fixed this chapter  +w+

"Where are we going?" I questioned, looking out the car window. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Stephen's stiff posture as he turned the steering wheel.

"To get supplies," he answered.

"...You do know that there's only 23 cases?" I asked. "And that they're quarantined?"

Stephen shrugged. "Better safe than sorry. People are going to try to hoard as much stuff as possible in the future, so why don't we get a head start?"

I sigh through my nose. "...Is that really necessary?"

"Yes."

I stare out the car window as we pass a green light. "But did you really have to take me with you though?"

"It wouldn't be fun doing this just by myself," Stephen answered with a shrug.

I chewed on the inside of my cheek. "I seriously doubt that there's gonna be a zombie outbreak in the first place."

Stephen cringed as he turned the car blinker on, switching lanes. "Yeah, well, I do. And in order to make it out alive, -"

"Make it out alive?" I raised an eyebrow.

" - We'll have to kill the zombies. And in order to that, we need weapons."

"Wouldn't food and water be top priority?" I ask.

"I think it's shelter that's most important," Stephen answered, "or First Aid."

"Either way," I roll my eyes. "If we're not gonna die from zombies, we'd die from starvation."

"...We'll get that after," Stephen begrudgingly agreed.

"Nothing's gonna happen anyways," I said, leaning against the car window and blowing a loose strand of hair off my face. "It's not like an actual pandemic will happen overnight."

"Hosuh, have you even watched zombie movies??" Stephen glanced at me. "Cause that's... Exactly what happens."

"Uh, no."

"Of course," he mumbled. "Ten out of ten Hosuh."

When we had finished getting the weapons, Stephen drove us to the supermarket.

I had stayed in the car while the grape-head got the ammunition. He said something about it not being PG-13, which confused me since I'm much definitely over the age of 13.

Stephen insisted, though, so I agreed to stay in the car.

"So what did you get?" I asked, peeking curiously inside the black bag.

"Some guns," Stephen shrugged. "Cool-looking swords, machetes, etcetera."

"No knives?"

Stephen wrinkled his nose. "Knives are for cooking, Hosuh. Besides, they're way too informal. Gotta have some class."

I glanced at him. He seemed less tense than before, but his eyes, glued to the road, seemed guarded.

"So... Now we're getting food, right?" I asked, fiddling with my fingers.

"And water," Stephen added. "And first-aid. Probably a tent or something too."

"...Alright," I said, furrowing my eyebrows. I really didn't understand Stephen's logic sometimes.

Pretty soon, the store was in sight. We had settled on going to Walmart, since it sold more than just food.

After Stephen parked the car, I hopped out of the passenger seat.

In the store, Stephen took care of the shopping cart while I filled it to the brim - a minor exaggeration - with canned foods. Fruits, soup, beans, vegetables, more. Anything canned.

"How are we even gonna be able to open these?" Stephen complained, picking up one of the many cans from the cart.

"Right," I snapped my fingers. "Let's get some of those can opener things."

"We also have to get the tent," Stephen reminded me. "And water."

"The tents are right around there," I pointed to the end of the isle. "You can go get one while I look for the can openers."

He pouted. "Since when did you become bossy?"

"Just go," I patted his shoulders, turning away.

I passed isle by isle, searching for what i was looking for. After finally finding the can openers, I grabbed 4 of them and got back to Stephen.

When I finally found the purple-haired ball of narcissism, he was busy with comparing two tent models.

"What do you think?" He said without glancing back. "Weather resistant or lightweight?"

"Weather resistant," I immediately responded. "It's Canada."

"Yeah."

"Did you even check the price?" I questioned.

He waved my question off. "Doesn't matter, there's a zombie pandemic about to happen."

I rolled my eyes. "It's only 23 people, in major surveillance. What if nothing happens?"

Stephen stared at the tent intently (haha). "Anything can happen overnight."

"You're overreacting, Stephen."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Let's just get the first-aid," Stephen said airily.

"And water," I piped up.

"And water," he nodded.