Pizza

"Lé zombies have officially arrived," Pink announces as soon as we get back to the trailer, unclipping the red leash off of her dog before kicking off her shoes. "A lotta them."

Stephen doesn't say anything from his top bed.

Dan scours around the brown to-go bag in his hands, pulling out a burrito wrapped in special paper. "Here's your cold burrito."

Like a switch, Stephen sits up in a blur. "Oh hell yeah - throw it to me, throw it, I'll catch it."

Dan obeys, half-heartedly throwing the food his way, and the grape catches it as promised, muttering his name under his breath as he unwraps his burrito.

Winnie shakes off thewater in her fur in front of me, getting my shoes wet.

I crouch down to take them off, and after I did, I gave the still-slightly-wet Winnie a pat.

"How many zombies did you see?" Stephen asked after swallowing.

Pink holds up six fingers, then adds another one after a pause. "Seven."

"Oh that's not a lot," he shrugs. "Just stab them all, easy game."

The blond sociopath snaps his fingers at him, grinning. "That's what I said!"

I take off my coat as the small child next to me grabs her dog in her arms again.

She turns to Jay and randomly kicks his shin, earning a pained yelp from the other.

"What was that?" He groans, grabbing his ankle and slowly sinking to the floor.

Pink giggles. "Can I braid your hair?"

"What - Why?!"

"Cause."

"You kicked my shin!"

"Please?"

Jay lets out a squeak as she tugs on one of his locks. "What're you even gonna braid it with?"

Pink pauses. "Uhm... Elastics."

"Yeah no, I'm pretty sure we don't have that."

Dan walks past the two of them. "We can get some on our next stop," the boy suggests.

The blond turns his head to Dan, jaw slacked. "Why are you -!"

"Yes," the girl nods her head fast. "Yes. We'll need many elastics."

"No I do not agree you are not touching my hair."

She makes big eyes. "Could I take a picture of it when I'm done?"

"No."

"You can use my phone!" Stephen pipes up from his bed, grinning wickedly. His eyes glitter with mischief.

"Don't you dare, Stephen," Jay says, and there's an edge of impatience to his tone.

The grape-head acts unbothered as Pink replies with an excited nod.

"Should we get back on the road?" The mint-haired boy cuts in, taking off his jacket. "It's my turn to drive, by the way. And I'd have to stop for gas soon too. We can get the elastics then."

As Dan climbs back out and quickly makes his way around the trailer, the child turns to the sociopath on the floor. "I can't wait to braid your hair."

Jay smiles. "Do that and a knife'll be rammed between your eyes."

"Jay..." I nervously step in.

"Yes, Hosuh."

Fear churns in my stomach at his fixed gaze and I'm about to say something when Pink beats me to it with a tilt of her head.