Flamingo

there's been so much dialogue and it's killing me wah -

i swear exciting things will happen soon ;-;

It took a lot for Jay and Dan to wake up.

Even after the almost-crash and loud fighting, both boys slept through it all. I didn't even think that was possible, but I came to the conclusion that both of them were just heavy sleepers.

My 2 hours of driving had passed, and although it was Jay's turn (it went Stephen, Dan, me, Jay), the grape head grudgingly accepted taking over when I asked him to let Jay sleep a little more.

So now, with nothing better to do, I was accompanying Stephen while also chatting with the bubblegum-haired child.

"Do you think we should have night shifts as well?" She questioned. "We already have shifts for the day with driving and stuff, but what about night when we're parked and sleeping?"

The girl fiddled with Winnie's leash, which she had hung back on the loop of her shorts. She was chewing on the inside of her cheek, a habit I caught on.

Today, she was wearing Stephen's T-shirt. The baggy sleeves were on the brink of falling off of her shoulders.

"Kind of like... night guard duty?" I asked.

She nodded. "Like how they do at malls."

"And I can do the shifts too!" She then quickly added, bright fuchsia eyes sparkling as she puffed up her cheeks. "I'll fend off the zombies and be super tough."

I laughed airily, scratching at my wrist. "Uh, I don't know. You'll have to ask... Dan? I guess? Or Stephen. I don't even know who's in charge anymore."

She huffed.

"No one really even has to be in charge actually," I say, thinking it over. "We just gotta talk about it together."

The trailer bounced a little, and my stomach did an unprepared loop but recovered quickly. The child pet the small dog sitting on her lap.

"Why can't you be in charge? You're so nice." She then smiled triumphantly a little. "Y'know, maybe you could be in charge. Throw them off of the power pyramid. Make them recognize your power."

Her dog yipped.

"Wh - Recognize my power?" The phrase sounded oddly familiar.

"Yeah!" She said in her baby-like voice. "We'll reign over and the cute ones will rule."

I stared at her awkwardly, contemplating my confused thoughts inside. "Uh."

"Well, no one else here besides us is cute." Her gaze slowly directed to her left before snapping back to me. "Unless you think otherwise..."

I frowned, about to ask her what she meant, when she jumped up. Winnie flew off her lap as a zooming ball of gold. "I'm gonna eat something now. Do we have anything other than canned food?"

"Uh..." I racked my brain, trying to get my jumbled thoughts together. "We used to have some apples in a white plastic bag, there's probably a few more in there."

She brushed off the shorts that were too big on her. "Okay, thank chu. I'll try to find them."

The girl then walked off, with the small puppy basically between her legs.

I turned to look through the front windshield.

The sun was covered by heavy clouds, dampening the colors outside into darker shades and making the atmosphere seem gloomy. It looked like it was going to rain, just like yesterday.