Birthday Plans

before u come at me, yes, i do know when ann's actual birthday is 

also uh whatever goes down in the chapter, i...
im still thinking about it
dont get ur hopes up

nothing in this story makes sense anymore im sorry

When the small child had skipped back, I had already finished half of my burger and almost all of my french fries. Pink looked a little happier, now that her dog was fed.

"Thank you," she grinned, jumping and landing on the bed criss-crossed. She immediately dove into the nugget container. "Ooh, my chicken nuggies..."

"You said you're turning 13 in a month, right?" I said after swallowing my fry. "When exactly is your birthday?"

The child stopped mid-chew. "Oh. Well, it's colder than a month actually," she blushed sheepishly. "It's on October. The sixteenth."

"That's close enough to a month," I assure, calculating in my mind. "Half a month, basically."

She shoved three chicken nuggets in her mouth, watching me. I averted my gaze down to my burger and listened to the rain outside.

"I kinda wish I could've spent my birthday at the orphanage, honestly," she chewed on her nuggets almost pitifully. "It's the only time I get cake. The really good store-bought ones, not the crappy home made cakes, the ones with the hard frosting and thin strawberry slices and everything."

I stared at her sulk, before grinning small. "Maybe we could get one of those cakes for your birthday too! ...Or we could get one earlier just in case we won't able to do it on your birthday."

"Wha - really?" She gasped softly. "Doesn't cake cost like, a bazillion dollars?"

"Ahm, eheh, no? How much is bazillion dollars?"

"A bazillion."

I gave her a dead tired look. "Oh
thanks."

Pink steered back to the cake. "But seriously? You guys are willing to get cake for me?"

"Well, it's not that big of a deal... and it's your birthday too."

She picked up her burger. "Well, we get birthdays every year."

"So, you don't want a cake for your thirteenth birthday?" I tilted ny head, a loose strand of hair tilting with me.

"Ag - no, well I never said that!" She sputtered quickly, letting out a short nervous laugh at the end.

And then in a tinier tone, softer than her already-soft voice, she added, "can we get strawberry?"

"Well if you want to," I shrugged, nodding.

"Oh!" Her eyes widened into sparkles before staring off into space wistfully. "Can we get dog cake too? We can't have cake without dog cake."

I didn't really know what dog cake was, but connecting the dots to Winnie was easy. "Sure?"

"And, um..." she looked down and self-awarely ate her chicken nugget, "balloons? Helium balloons. Do helium balloon actually fly?" 

I laughed awkwardly, tapping a fry to my hand absentmindedly. "Uh, yeah."

"Really," her eyes sparkled. "Cool."

"A-?"

I stopped myself short.

Ah, right, orphanage. She really has been living under a rock.

The girl seemed to think for a moment, and then her eyes visibly lit up. She gazed into my eyes almost threateningly.