Field

i wanted to give u guys a double update since the next chapter is a right-off continuation, but i don't have it in me to do so

aaaa im so sorry(πーπ)

permission to delete myself

"Can we go outside?"

"...We went outside yesterday."

"Great observation. Can we go outside?"

I paused.

Currently, the old rusty trailer was parked along the side of a road, engine off but the radio still droning on about apocalypse updates. 

The rain had lessened, and although it was still quietly pattering down, it was nice and warm outside. Nostalgia was hitting hard right now for some reason.

Out the left window, across the one-way road, small white flowers dotted the dry grass of the field. Green trees at the very top of the grassy hill framed the field in a peaceful way, gently swaying rhythmically.

And zombies were everywhere. They seemed to have multiplied in number again or something.

The place was honestly pretty, though, even with the zombies. And I was tempted to say yes to the question, but the amount of zombies out there kept me from answering so.

I peeked through the window yet again for the thousandth time today, making eye contact with a glossy-eyed zombie a little distance away. It started moving sideways like a defeated crab.

"...Maybe not?"

"Aw," the child groaned, dropping her head to the floor. "Why not?"

"There are..." I awkwardly laughed, "a lot of zombies outside."

She smooshed her dog's face against her cheek. "We'll avoid them. How do we even know they're hostile?"

"The number of them outside is your answer." Dan deadpans.

The bubblegum-haired girl pauses her dog-cheek-smooshing, looking up to stare at Dan confusingly. 

She tilts her head to the side. "I don't get it."

Dan doesn't say anything else, going back to munching on one of the newly bought apples we got when we stopped for gas. Jay, sitting across from him, randomly boops him on the nose out of nowhere.

"If you guys don't want to come, I'll go by myself." She raised her head back up. "...And with Winnie."

I blinked. "But you might die."

She waved me off. "Oh c'mon, you're over exagerating."

"I'm - I'm seriously not, there are zombies out there, -"

"And I'll defend myself with my hammer!" She grins proudly. "But only if they attack me first. Otherwise it'd be mean."

I shook my head. "Ann -"

"How about you come with me, then?" She prompts, grinning even more smugly. "And if they attack us in hordes, we'll stand shoulder to shoulder like in the movies."

That made me even more nervous, my hands getting a little clammy. I racked my brain, trying to find a way to get her to change her mind in going.

"Well, Winnie might get eaten..."

Pink - no, Ann, I had to keep telling myself - shrugs. "I'll hold her."

And then she goes back to squeezing the life out of her yellow rat.