Girl

this whole chapter is a jumble of messes and im sorry for the confusion you'll get while reading this

It'd been 20 minutes of driving already, and we were just exiting the city. The car in front of us was riding along the road, swerving unsteadily at times.

While Jay was asleep, the rest of us figured out a schedule with the driving.

We'd take turns at the steering wheel every 2 hours. Stopping for a break each time we switch.

I mean, I didn't really have a driver license yet, but that didn't matter now. It's not like we'd get pulled over or something.

And now, as I sketched on my drawing, Dan was falling asleep in his own bunk bed too.

After a few minutes of mindless purring of the trailer, one of the two sleeping boys stirred.

"Can we have a potty break?" Jay yawned, waking up from his sleep. "I wanna pee."

"Not now," Stephen's gaze was dead. His eyes were lazily transfixed on the car in front of us.

Jay slumped back into the bunk bed, groaning. "Why not?"

"We're following that car in front of us," I explain, pointing to the windshield. "We can't lose sight of it."

Jay blinked. "Why...?"

"There's a child in that car," I shrug.

"...So?"

I frowned. "What do you mean? It's a child."

Jay kept on staring at me with an unfazed expression.

"We're helping the child, Jay," I deadpanned.

"By stalking them," Jay grinned. "Sure."

I buried myself in the drawing tablet again. "It's not exactly stalking if we're helping, though."

Jay hummed. "I'm not so sure about that."

I didn't respond, getting back to my sketch.

Suddenly the trailer swerved abruptly, making me crash into the small window by my side. I grunted, bringing a hand to my head.

"Ow," Jay muttered, rubbing his own forehead. "What was that for?"

"The car's pulling over," Stephen announced, sounding a bit excited. "Time to get violent!"

I narrowed my eyes."What?"

"Nothing!" Stephen turned off the engine to the vehicle. "Look, the girl's getting out."

Sure enough, the short child was out of the car, holding up an axe.

She was staring down the trailer with ferocity, but her demeanour was panic-stricken and agitated. Her knees were visibly shaking.

"Should we get out?" Stephen questioned over his shoulder.

"I'll do it," Jay volunteers, so giddily that it was scary. He was wearing a sharkish grin on his face.

"I can do it too," I add, eyeing the smiling sociopath. What was going on inside his head?

Looking back at the child outside, I noticed a leash hanging from the belt loop of her shorts. Maybe she had some kind of animal with her.

Stephen shrugged. "You two can go, then. I'll be at the wheel in case something happens."

I nodded, looking back at Jay. He was grabbing hold of the gun next to him.