Problems

re-upload: i speedran this thing pogchamp

"Ohh-kay!" The boy sighs, soundlessly closing his hands once. "Let's get back on track, shall we?"

Jay shouts out a little "yup" from his corner as his head is pressed against the cool metal of the trailer. Stephen gives a depressed hum from his, drawing with his finger on the wall.

"Although you two are in time-out, you still have to contribute, okay?" the boy's eyes switch from Jay's back to Stephen's.

"This is humiliating."

"If you want lunch today you're staying there," Ann teases with a wide smile.

A grumble and a bang as he lightly hit the wall. "That's abuse!"

"So, anyways," Dan cleared his throat, ignoring him and getting back to the topic. "The next problem is the zombies themselves. They aren't actually our biggest issue right now, but -"

The pink child cut him off. "But they will be."

"Huh?" Dan looks puzzled as he looks up from his notebook to look at Ann.

"The radio," Ann points to the front of the car, where the sounds of muffled static is coming from. "They end each talk-session with the same thing."

Oh. My mouth opens and closes.

I'd never actually listened to the radio. Maybe I should start to; the way Ann was talking about it put me on edge.

Dan's pen-clicking habit starts up again, and the sound echoes in the silence. "What?"

The girl snorts. "And you said you listen to it."

"So what is it?" Stephen asks from his corner.

"Well..." she fiddles with her fingers. "The first week, you go through turning into a zombie and stuff, right?"

Dan narrows an eye. "Uh?"

"When you get bitten," she says in a monotone voice. "It takes you a week to fully turn into a zombie."

"Yeah," I nod.

"And then for another week you're just a mindless zombie that literally can't do anything to harm anyone."

The zombies outside. They were only passive for a week... 

Before... what?

"What," Jay scoffs. "And then they turn into cannibalistic savages?"

Ann shrugs. "Not exactly. They're not cannibalistic, they don't eat each other. But besides that, yes. They turn into... kill-all-human savages? I dunno. They're fast and scary."

A pit of ice-cold dread forms in my stomach, tugging on the small feeling of fear and weaving it to get bigger and bigger. My mouth felt dry.

It's...

Jay doesn't sound fazed in the slightest. "That's not better."

"We're doomed," Stephen groans from his time-out zone. "There's no way we're surviving. We need to get to my brother's house; he's loaded and his house is basically a security breach."

Jay picks at his fingernail. "I change my mind, let's do what Stephen's saying."

"You called my brother a bitch, I'm not bringing you," the purple-haired boy huffs.