3

3

Over the next few months James and Raven spent every spare moment they had together. She had started to teach him different martial arts and he had started to show her different techniques to use when fighting with weapons. He introduced her to guns and knives. She showed him hand to hand and Asian weapons like the Bo staff. They knew and saw enough to know that neither of their home lives were good. Raven had to bite his tongue every time he saw new bruises or when James wore long sleeves and jeans to hide her more serious injuries. He wasn't stupid, he knew she hated the long sleeves and pants when she was training. He knew she had it much worse at home than he did. But she refused to talk about it. And honestly, he was scared if he pushed it, he would lose her. He couldn't lose her now. Everyday he became a better person because of his malenkoye chudo (little miracle).

He knew that when he grew up and got big, he would swoop in and save her. Like she had saved him. He brought her a fruit cup every day he saw her. And no matter how silly she said it was, she ate his fruit every time. He was so proud to say she was his. Of course he wasn't able to tell anyone yet. She had begged him to keep their meetings to himself. He had no problem not sharing her with the assholes who worked and lived with his family.

He had listened to her dreams of escaping and dedicating her life to helping others like them. She was always saying how she would never be like their parents. This is when Raven realised that he wanted exactly what she did. Freedom and the ability to help people just like them. She was amazing, tiny yet so fierce and strong. Stronger than anyone he had ever met. He couldn't wait to marry moy malenkiy voin. 

James had never hoped or dreamed she could be this happy. Every day she got to see the beautiful face of her best friend, her Raven. He had given her hope for a future she never actually thought possible. They talked for hours about their plans to travel and save the world.  She had started to teach him English. Believing it was a skill he would need when they left Russia together. He told her he had found a cartoon to help him practice when he was at home. He said it was called Spongebob Squarepants. Apparently, it was the best show ever made. She giggled a little at his enthusiasm for such a ridiculous sounding show, but was happy he was practicing when she wasn't around to nag him.

Their time together had made James yearn for better. She promised herself that she would make Raven proud in everything she did. He would be proud to know her. And if they did end up together, she wanted him to be proud to call her his. No one meant more to her than her Raven. She was proud to be his and to call him hers. She knew that she loved him. It was an innocent love one had for their best friend. She knew she would give him everything she had, sacrifice whatever he needed to make sure he was happy and healthy one day. 

Little did James know, that sacrifice was coming sooner than she ever thought it would. 

Just as they passed the one year mark of the fateful day James had jumped from that tree, she got horrible news. 

Her father had stormed into her room, angrier than she had ever seen him. He had started wailing down punches and kicks across her body. She could hardly understand his frenzied cursing and yelling as he beat her with no remorse. Apparently Chris had seen her sneaking out one morning and started asking questions when he saw her sneaking back in. He had somehow recognised her and asked John about who she was.

It was evidently James' fault that he had to shoot his oldest and closest friend.  She couldn't believe what she was hearing. He told her that they were leaving again. She was completely heart broken. She only had a few days left with her Raven. But she knew she could never see him again. If she told him she was leaving he would do everything he could to get her away or even be stupid enough to confront her dad. Yet she knew she couldn't leave without somehow letting him know that it wasn't her choice to go.

That was when she decided to write him a letter and leave it in their secret meeting spot. She just couldn't leave without saying goodbye, somehow. 

My Dearest Raven,

There are no words to tell you how sorry I am for leaving you in this way. I need you to know that if it was up to me, I wouldn't be anywhere but by your side.

Since the moment I met you, you have become my everything. I will cherish my time with you with every breath in my body until there are none left. Thank you for everything you taught me and letting me be yours for the short time we had together.

I don't know where I am going from here, but I do know that I will take my memories of you with me. If I am ever able to, I will find you again.

Never forget my Raven that you are the best thing to have ever happened to me. You are good and I promise to keep trying to make you proud of me everyday. I love you.

Always yours,

tvoya malenkaya boginya voin

(your little warrior goddess)

She would never forget the beating she got when she got caught sneaking back in from dropping off the letter for Raven. But to James, it was worth it. She would have done it again in a heart beat.

When her father had gotten tired of torturing her, he slipped her the familiar sedative he used for travelling and when she woke up this time she was in excruciating pain. She was curled up in the box on her way to their next destination.