4

4

James – 22

James crossed Templeton Downs Universitys (TDUs) campus, hoping to get to her favourite coffee shop before the morning crowd descended. She wasn't usually this rushed but was feeling a little sluggish due to the three nights in a row filled with night terrors and no sleep.

You see, night terrors are quite a bit different to nightmares. When someone had a nightmare, they could wake up with some physical side-affects, such as rapid breathing and heart rate, sweating and in some extreme cases, phantom pain. But night terrors were a whole other level.

It was very common to experience a type of sleep paralysis, which meant that you were stuck in hell unable to move and quite aware of being in a dream state. You were unable to wake yourself, being trapped in the semi-conscious state usually sent your body into panicked shut down.

What that meant for James is that the majority of nights she actually stopped breathing. She woke up with her lungs screaming for air and every muscle completely cramped up. Those first moments of awareness were always her caught in a loop of the last moments of her dream. Unable to breathe or fully wake herself. She felt every nerve ending in her body shooting pain into her brain. She was in full panic until her lungs unlocked and allowed her to take that first inhale.

As you can imagine, this is not the best way to wake and prompt comfort in going back to sleep.

As James walked into The Coffee House (I know, not the most original or creative name, but everyone seems to remember it.) the heavenly scent of roasted beans and fresh baked treats washed over her. She inhaled deeply and thanked whatever gods were listening for the miracle that is coffee.

She stepped up to the counter and was enthusiastically greeted by all the baristas on duty. She was well known for her early morning visits, large orders, huge tips and constant smile. She couldn't help it. How could you not smile when surrounded by caffeinated heavenliness!

Margo, the morning line manager walked up to take her order after the greetings died down.

"Hey girl! How you doing this fine morning?"

"So much better now. Can I get my regular order, but can you double up on all the shots?" James smiled warmly at one of her favourite acquaintances. She liked Margo, and thought she was probably an incredible boss to work for.

The request had Margo pausing. This only happened occasionally, but it always worried her. She really liked James. She was just an all around good person and genuinely cared about everyone around her. Margo knew James had money, lots of it. Not that you could tell by the oversized sweater dresses, leggings and running shoes that were a daily staple for her. She never acted like she was better or talked down to Margo's staff. Instead she sang their praises. She always took the time to compliment them on, and profusely thank them for, the coffee and the service she received.

"You alright hon?" Margo asked. Hoping James would finally open up about the shadows that were a constant in her eyes. Shed known her for over a year and still knew nothing more personal than her name and major.

"Ya, just late nights working on assignments." James hedged. She really hoped that Margo would let it go.

"Okay hon, you ever need anything, were here for ya."

James smiled, she really did love coming in here.

"Thanks love, should be good."

"Alright. Well gang, lets get going! James doubled please!"

They all chuckled at the twist on the daily order and got to work. It was a big order.

James order:

2 x large americano (double today)

2 x London Fog (Earl Grey with steamed milk)

A straight espresso shot with a double shot of vanilla

2 x Chai Lattes w/soy milk

        Now you may be asking yourself why so many for one person, or that there is no way she could finish all that by herself. Heres how it works. She takes the espresso as a shot at the counter, just to get her going. Then starts on her first americano. She then has vacuum flasks for all the other drinks. (She prefers lukewarm drinks.)

James readily admits that her backpack is more for her coffee addiction than her books.

When all was said and done her order came to $45, she dropped 80 and continued to thank her crew as she walked out, weighed down by her order.

As she walked to the door, it opened and in walked one of the most devastatingly handsome men she had ever seen. He had messy brown hair, longer on the top, that looked like I-actually-just-rolled-out-of-bed hair, rather than that annoying deliberately messy look that guys tried to achieve. But what had James actually freezing on the spot and mouth dropping open just a bit, were his eyes. One was a bright green and the other was a clear ocean blue. Heterochromia. It was so rare to see that combination of colours, usually is was brown and green or hazel and green. James fingers twitched to take out her phone so she could get a picture of it.

The stunner standing in front of her hadn't yet noticed her ogling. Thank god for small favours. She thought. He was looking over her shoulder at the menu board.

Unfortunately he had stopped right inside the door and was very effectively blocking her exit.

"Thank God." He murmured. James was positive he was talking to himself and she wasn't suppose to hear that. She giggled to herself and said out loud.

"I know what you mean. If you want a true coffee-gasm, try their Ethiopian Mocha bean roast. Its a "little death" in a cup."

He had startled as she started talking and looked straight at her. Their eyes locked and James couldn't help but think, Jesus, he is even better head on! He suddenly inhaled sharply and his mouth opened a little. She was pretty sure he had just registered her eyes.

James got this reaction a lot. You see, aside from her 5'1" hourglass frame, she had long dark brown, almost black hair that brushed past the small of her back and skirted the top of her very ample backside. But, honestly, those weren't the features that stood out or were noticed first about her. That distinction was reserved for her eyes. They were so pale they were almost translucent. No one could agree on whether they were light blue or grey/silver. Some even thought she was blind. But she could see just fine.

For James, they were just an irritating part of her appearance she spent too much time answering stupid questions about. For example, "Are you blind?", "Do you see in black and white?" (yes, this has been asked many times). But her favourite so far has been "Can you like shoot lasers from your eyes or see through walls?"

This from a very precocious six year old who was on the childrens cancer ward at the hospital she volunteered at when she had the time. He was definitely one of her favourite people.

"Oh..wow..uh.....ya, just wow." That was all Mr. Hot-Stuff had to say. James laughed out loud this time and said "OK, good luck with your order. See you around handsome."

She turned around and yelled behind her "Bye my people, I worship the ground you walk on!"

She turned back and saw Mr. Hot-Stuff was still standing in the door staring at her. He must really just be waking up. She thought. She cleared her throat and made a head gesture towards the door. Trying to let him know that she needed to get by. That seemed to snap him out of it and he stepped aside to let her pass. She made eye contact with him and winked before she headed out.

She got across the road before she gave in and looked back. He was standing in the door staring at her with eyes wide and his mouth still open. James smiled warmly at him and thought, Well that was a great start to my day.