Chapter 15. Poppy

"Cosette, can I talk to you?" I ask her, she and Tommy are sitting cross-legged on the drama room floor, her ever short skirt riding up so you can see her undies. No wonder why all the year sevens were peeking in earlier. A bunch of young creeps.

"Sure," she says, her lips still red with lipstick. I'm not sure who she's trying to impress. I look at Tommy hoping that he'll leave.

Maybe I shouldn't tell her, it will come undone soon enough anyway. But she's my best friend. If she founds out that I knew and didn't tell her, she'll never forgive me. 

"Tommy, don't you have somewhere else to be?" Cosette sighs, getting that I don't want him here.

"Fine, but you better not be keeping secrets from me," he says standing up, and walking past me, when he reaches the door, he turns around and does a dramatic bow, and Cosette rolls her eyes, albeit fondly.

"So, what's up, Poppy?" Cosette says, her hair falling out at the edges. Her mother won't be pleased about that, embarrassing she would say in her usual high pitched squeal.

"It's about Sarah" I answer, and she just leans back on her elbows, uninterested.

"Let me guess, she snitched on some cheaters again and so now everyone but Sarah has failed the test and now I have to go make sure nobody gives her shit. You know, I have better things to do?" Cosette says

"She's the one spreading the rumours about you and the posters" I blurt out, Mum always said it was always better to just get to the point. No beating around the bush and all that. That gets her attention.

"That bitch. After I let her be friends with us?" She scoffs "I'm going to make her regret. I'm going to make her wish she was dead" she hisses, and I don't doubt that she means it. That's what I was afraid of.

~~~~~

"Why did you and Cosette no longer get along?" The same policeman asks. Does he ever actually listen? Like seriously, I hate him. 

Sometimes people just fall out or drift apart. He acts as if the normal response to people not being friends anymore is murder. 

"Because she was a bitch and a bully" I answer, I tried to be nice about before but apparently that's just not working.

"So you hated her?" they seem to be sure that she was murdered now. Which is just peachy.

Can he just try to find out who killed her already? It shouldn't be too hard. It wasn't like the whole school was there.

"I guess"

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but at around ten-thirty you went to talk to her in the library?" He asks

"It was the study, the library is on the other side of the house. But yes I did, and no I don't know how long I was in there, I didn't have a watch" I reply, could he get his facts right?

"Others have said you were in there for around half an hour, after which you stormed out and Cosette soon left and went upstairs. None of them remembers seeing her after that"

"I didn't either so I couldn't have killed her. Besides I was with Max or Tommy for the rest of the night until I took Isla home," I say, he raises his eyebrow while he scribbles something down. Geez, he has bad handwriting.