Chapter 16. Tommy

"Cosette, why must you always make everything difficult? Why can't we all just get along?" I ask her, and she shrugs, fiddling with the cigarette in her hand. I know James gave it to her. I'm not an idiot.

"She started it," she says, and she really doesn't care about who she hurts, does she?

"I don't care. You didn't have to finish it!"

"Well, then she shouldn't have said those things"

"How do you know she did? People can make mistakes, including Poppy. And even if Sarah did say those things, it's not like you haven't done terrible things to her too, so maybe you deserved it!" I snap at her.

"Maybe you aren't the person I thought you were," She says and I guess this is it.

"Maybe you aren't either"

"If anyone asks, I broke up with you because you are a disloyal liar"

"And I broke up with you because you're a terrible person"

"Fine"

"Fine"

And I watch her walk away, and it feels like she's about to disappear forever. Another day, another friend gone from my life. After everything she's done for me.

I should go talk to Sarah, make sure she's okay. And hear her side of the story before I make any irreversible decision. Poppy has always complained that I'm too rash and that I should think about my decisions.

My bike, which is on its last legs, is still sitting where I left it. Though, somebody has written on it. Which is so nice of them.

I wish I didn't have to ride a bike everywhere, but the bus isn't an option and my Uncle crashed his car last night. Which is just what we needed, another cost. So now no one has a car in the family.

It's lucky most of the trip is downhill.

It's lucky that I slept in history today, otherwise, I'd probably die of exhaustion. Though Mr Hansel was not too pleased- I can't wait to see him at detention on Friday! I know Max and his buddies will be there, which is comforting.

''Hey! Look it's the kid that can't read!"

~~~~~

"You know it's a crime to lie to the police right?" Mr 'I'm not prejudiced' asks, he's gotten fatter since I last saw him.

"You know it is a crime to harass people and incredibly unprofessional to racially profile someone" I respond. "And I'm not lying"

"Stop acting like you've had a terrible life, you did get away with murder once, remember?"

"I thought I made it clear that was self-defence, did you want me to let him kill me? And It was Cosette, I lied to protect her"

I'm sick of people calling me a murderer. It wasn't like that.

"Can you just answer the questions honestly? Is that so hard?"