[1] roof top

I reached the school rooftop to have a break like I did every school day. This was my safe zone, my spot, I never brought anyone up here. It was my little secret.

I didn't come up here to smoke, or roll quick joints, or to make any calls. It was for brief moments to myself. A moment to hear myself breathe, listen to my thoughts and feel a bit of relief through the day.

I lifted myself up on the roof and stood up, as I noticed someone else was here.

A boy... with bleach blonde hair faced away from me, his legs over the edge as he sat there silently, it scared me a bit to see someone up here. Since the only person who really came up here was me and me only, but I made no sound.

I walked closer to the boy quietly, then decided to say something.

"Who are you?" I asked bluntly with annoyance in my voice. I was pissed that someone else had now found out my spot, I was worried it wouldn't become so personal and that all the kids would just come up here to smoke or hide from trouble.

He turned around and looked at me. His vibrant green eyes piercing through mine. "What's it to do with you?"

I walked closer to him. "Because this is my spot. I've been coming here for years, now who are you?" I asked again.

"Well, I don't see your name up here."

"Oh really," I said pointing to my name written in graffiti on the wall of the chimney.

"Marsha," he read out loud.

"Now name?"

"Billie, anything else?"

"Yeah, give me your backstory while you're at it," I sarcastically mumbled to him crossing my arms.

"You're sarcasm a real killer." He said bluntly turning back away from me.

I sat down next to him. "I could say the same."

There was a moment of silence.

"I'm guessing your new, but this is my spot. You can't come up here y'know." I told him Firmly.

"Alright sweetheart." He nodded, looking over at me smirking.

"You're close to getting a punch."

He looked down at the ground. "If you punch me, I'll fall off and they'll Know I've fallen off here. They'll come to check those cameras and you'll be in trouble for murder, then that's prison life for you."

"I disabled those cameras months ago."

"Well I did," he said looking back at me. "you didn't cut the main wire sweetie."

"So they've been seeing me this whole time...?"

"Well no, you shattered the camera lens that's for sure but they were still activated."

I nodded impressed. "You're smarter than you look."

He smiled sort of proudly. I noticed he had a crooked smile, spread across his face.

"So you're new?" I asked him.

"Don't remind me,"

"How did you find your way up here?"

"I've been climbing on rooftops for mini-breaks for my whole life. This wasn't the hardest one I've had to figure getting up," he said to me looking at me. His emerald eyes glowing.

"Impressive," I nodded. "Your not gonna, tell the whole school about this spot... are you?"

"Only if you let me spray paint my name under yours," he smiled.

"You think I'm sharing this place with you?"

He shrugged and looked back into the distance. "Yeah, I guess you could just share it with the whole school's jock team smoking, girls gossiping, and teachers screaming."

He knew what he was doing, "fine!" And I gave in.

He smiled again. "You're not too bad y'know."

I opened my mouth to answer him but he lifted himself up from sitting and walked away. I turned around to him. He looked back at me and winked, then proceeded to jump down the pipes back to the floor.

I looked at his spot. Then heard the bell go.

"Clever bastard."