twenty-four

By the time Izzy had got home that night, the sky was a blend of pink and orange, as the sun was beginning to rise for the day

By the time Izzy had got home that night, the sky was a blend of pink and orange, as the sun was beginning to rise for the day. She was stressed out her mind, and she thanked God that her father wasn't home.

After hours of sitting in the Diaz household on the couch, while Oscar and Cesar talked about what went down that night, she was ready to crash.

She opened the door carefully and closed it slowly, cringing at the sound of the lock clicking. She held her shoes in her hands as she walked past the living room door.

She walked past Gina's bedroom door and checked on her. Like the night before, she was sound asleep. Izzy leaned against her doorway for a few moments before leaving her. She closed the door and walked to her own room.

She thought Gina was asleep, but what she didn't know was that she was awake. When the lock clicked, her eyes opened. What Izzy didn't know was that she had been awake all night, waiting for her big sister to come home.

Gina didn't like to admit it, but her sister always made her feel safe. She was a bitch to her sometimes, but that was just Gina. She still loved her sister. And when she didn't come home, she worried and was so confused. Izzy always came home, but not now.

Things were different now.
And if only she knew that.

~~~

Izzy spent the rest of the day at home, contemplating calling Oscar. Izzy wasn't an idiot, she understood the streets. She knew every unwritten rule and regulation there, she understood how things operated in Freeridge.

So she knew once someone pulled one on you, something had to be done.

A lot of things were taken in Freeridge, but disrespect was not one.

Izzy held her phone in her hands, her hand pounding so hard she could hear it. She prayed and prayed that Oscar would take care of it himself.

That he wouldn't make Cesar or Izzy do it.

Izzy's palms dripped in sweat and her hands shook as she held the phone to her ear.

" Come on ", she muttered, " Pick up ".

" Yeah ".

Izzy could feel her breath catching in her throat, and she tried her best to keep her hands from shaking anymore.

" Oscar ", she said surprisingly clear, " We need to talk ".

" About what? ".

" You know what ", she said.