twenty-five

Izzy knew she couldn't go back to school

Izzy knew she couldn't go back to school. She wanted to though. She wanted to walk her baby sister to school without being afraid of getting jumped or put down. Cesar had been texting her all morning, he wanted to go to school. He had a math test, Izzy didn't but that didn't matter. She couldn't let him go on his own. So she went with him.

" With all the Santos at his crib it's like a safe house ", Ruby tried to reassure Olivia, " As long as they lay low and don't show, they're all good ".

" We are all good ", Cesar said, coming up behind them Izzy in tow. Her hand remained interlocked with his, catching the attention of Olivia. She looked at Izzy with a questioning look, but she narrowly avoided eye contact.

" What're you doing here? ", Ruby asked him, concerned.

" He's a got a test ", Izzy tried to explain, " I can't leave him alone so- ",

" Izzy, you have a green light out on you ", Monse said

" It's fine, Mons ", Izzy brushed off, " Oscar's got our backs? ".

" Oscar? ", Nina questioned, with a raised eyebrow.

" Don't give me that look ", Izzy said.

" But what if something- ",

" Nothing's gonna happen, Liv ", Izzy insisted, " He's in and out just a test, and I'll just sit in in one of Nina's classes. It'll be fine, don't worry. Worry about your quince, isn't your dress coming today? ".

Olivia nodded, so Izzy smiled reassuringly. " We're good, Liv. Don't worry ".

Once she walked away, Cesar turned to the group. " We need you to distract Olivia today, get her to focus on her quince ".

They all nodded and Ruby said " We can do that ".

" And come straight home after school, you know the block's hot ".

" What about you guys? How do we know that you're safe ", Nina asked.

Izzy opened her mouth to respond but Cesar's phone dinged.

" Shit ", he cursed, taking hold of Izzy's wrist, " We gotta go, tell Ms. Blanchard I'm sick or something ".

He didn't say anymore as he quickly pulled himself and Izzy away. As they walked quickly towards the gates Izzy had to ask.
" Cesar, what is it? ".
" Oscar ", was all he said.
She didn't ask anymore, she understood.

He checked over his shoulder before opening the gate and allowing Izzy out first and closing it behind him. The colour from her face drained over the sight of the red Impala. It was obvious Oscar was pissed. She slipped into the back seat, while Cesar sat in the front. She crossed her legs, and crossed her arms over her chest.

" You don't need to say it- ",

" No, I'm gonna say it ", he snapped, " What the hell's wrong with you? You can't be out here in the open ".