Chapter 2 - Next Assignment

It was two days after the death of Luke, before I returned to London. I had remained in my bed in my apartment. Just staring at the ceiling. I didn’t feel remorse. I felt nothing. Not even for her. I didn’t care. I couldn’t get attached to anyone’s feeling. It was part of the job. I was a killer, not a sympathizer.

I walked into the office and over to my desk. I sat in my spinning chair and closed my eyes. Someone started tapping my leg. I slowly opened my eyes. I looked up to see a 9mm silencer attached to a Beretta 92FS staring me in the face.

“Sleeping on the job, I see,” The masked guy said. “You’re reflects are getting slow, Delilah.”

I smiled. “Check again.”

The masked man looked down to see a KSC Glock 17 aimed at his genitals. He exhaled and lowered his weapon.

“Hi, Aaron.”

He ripped his mask off his head. “Man, how did you know it was me?”

“Well, for one, you’re the only one brave enough to put a gun in my face,” I laughed.

Aaron chuckled. He leaned against my desk, partially sitting on it. “And two?”

“You’re the only guy I know that showers in Polo Blue cologne.” I sniffed.

He shook his head. “See, that’s why I need you to train me. They are never going to let me get out in the field if I make mistakes like that.”

I chuckled. “We’ll see.”

“So, did you see today’s paper?” he said, throwing The Sun on my desk.

I spun around to read it. The headline read “Von B OD’d”. Clever. The article spoke about how Princess Eliza’s family warned her about Von Burgeon and his drug usage. ‘Luckily, she decided not to party with him that night.’ The paper said.

“That’s funny.” I laughed.

“So, tell me.” Aaron smiled. “How did you do it?”

I motioned for him to come close so I could whisper it in his ear. “If I tell you, I’ll have to kill you.”

He sucked his teeth and walk over to his desk, which is right across from mines. I laughed as I turned to my computer to check my emails. I clicked through the usual stuff. Nothing good. Wait, here’s something. It’s an encrypted message from one of my contacts. 

From: You Know Who

To: You Know Why

Message: Great kill. Too bad you were caught on camera. Never underestimate habit. :P

Attached: A picture of me entering the Princess’ room.

Dammit. The cameras were supposed to be off. She always turns them off. I should have checked anyway. I shook my head. I deleted the message and saw another one from him. I opened and read it.

From: That Guy

To: That Girl

Message: Don’t worry. I took care of the camera. You’re out in the clear. The Company will never know. You are the best and we all know it. Keep up the good work. I always have an eye on you. I’ll be in touch.

I smiled to myself. I have never met this guy but he’s been my contact for as long as I’ve worked for The Company. He’s probably the only person I can trust, besides Aaron. But Aaron doesn’t really count. I’m not sure I fully trust him yet. Just trust him more than anyone else here. Aaron Porter moved to London about 5 years ago, and immediately started working for The Company. He’s not the field type. I mean, he has the look. The dirty blonde hair. The devilish smile. Average build. Brains. But he’s such a newbie. I took him on a mission once and he set off the alarms. I mean, how do you do that? He’s best on a computer. He can hack into anything at any time. My own little personal computer nerd.