Chapter 8: It's a Date

Wednesday, February 24, 1999
Gotham City 22:37

*Raven POV*

Getting to the door, I could feel a group of people who's auras I didn't recognize, and pulled Jinx back to me. I covered her mouth before she could say anything and used my soulself to wrap around us in order to fly through the ceiling and to a nearby rooftop, where we could see the FBI agents and local police breaking down the door to where we just were.

I looked back at Jinx to make sure she's okay, having to look down a bit as she's a few inches shorter than me, and realize we're both still holding each other. A deep blush breaks across my neck and face as I feel just how pressed together we are. 'Wow. Her eyes are breathtaking in the moon light,' I think to myself, unknowingly at the same time she thinks the exact same of my own.

"Thank you," She whispers gently. "You didn't have to help me. You could have just left on your own. But you didn't. I guess I owe you one now."

My grip subconsciously tightened around her waist protectively. "No," I say and shake my head. "You don't. Plus, I'm the one who tripped the first alarm before you were ready to escape, so it was my fault anyways." I blush at the reminder that Jinx now knows that I'm actually a bit of a klutz.

"Ya. But you're a 'Good Guy'," she mumbles, stepping out of my embrace. I immediately feel cold from the distance between us, and the feeling is doubled as I feel Jinx feel it too. "You could have just told them you were there to catch me, yourself, and been on your merry way."

The way she said that was bitter, as though from personal experience. I could feel that she was afraid that, even though I didn't tonight, I probably would betray her in the future.

"But I didn't. And I won't," I say, trying to dissuade her fears. "I actually- I was uh- I mean, if you don't mind..." I stutter out, suddenly feeling rather nervous about what I wanted to ask.

"What is it, Ray-Ray?" She asks, unknowingly making that nickname seem less annoying. And obviously trying to tease me, now that she knows that I can get embarrassed. "Are you trying to ask me on a date~?"

"Well, yes. I mean no! I mean- I want to get to know you better, you know? Discover the person behind the thief." I say, rubbing my arms, anxious about the possible outcome. "I can tell that you're not evil, you just do... unlawful things. It actually seems like you do them more out of necessity. So I would like to attempt to know the real you. If you don't mind that is. If you'd rather not, that-that's fine too. No pressure." I say trying not to let my disappointment show at the prospect of her turning down my olive branch of friendship.

However, I apparently worried over nothing as I felt the excitement bubble in her. "I'd like that. I'm busy tomorrow, but how about the day after? At the coffee place on ————— street? Here," Jinx offers, and then reaches into the front right pocket of my black jean pants, and retrieves my phone. How she knew it was there, I have no clue, but she begins type in a name and phone number, after finding the contacts app rather easily.

(A/N): I won't be using street names, phone numbers, etc. examples, in case they are real.

"This is the number to my personal phone, it's a burner and Gizmo already made sure we'll known if someone tries to track it so don't bother tryin'," she says, winking as she hands it back to me. I look at my phone and blush at the name she put. Now I get why she winked.

"I already sent a text to myself so I have your number now too, so no tryin' to back out of this "friend" date," she tells me, using air quotes on the word "friend", making me blush again. I've never blushed this much in my whole life.

"I won't. And it's not a date, I don't even know you well enough for it to be one," I argue.

"Well isn't that the whole point of dating, to get to know someone better," she argues back. She's not wrong.

"I guess so... but that still doesn't make this a date," I say, even though my increasing blush contradicts my statement. And I feel Jinx can tell by seeing my blush become visible in the darkness.

"Sure it's not, Ray-Ray. Sure it's not. Anyways, I really have to go. Text me tomorrow morning to tell me what time I should meet you at the café, and I'll see you there." She starts to turn to leave, but then pauses and walks towards me. "And thanks again. For rescuing me," she says softly, just above a whisper. Then, she gently kisses my cheek, having to stand on her toes, and leaving me star struck, as she runs off hopping across rooftops before disappearing from sight. 'Wow. What a woman,' I think to myself with a s**t-eating grin.