Chapter 2

"You don't have to do this, Y/N," your father turned to you after the door shut behind the Park's. "I can make up a story for why you're not available. Perhaps we can send you abroad for a while..."

"No, no, no. Don't be silly. I want to take on this job," you didn't realize it until you said it – but you really did want the project.

"They're not good people, sweetie. I didn't like the way that boy was looking at you either. I'll call Stanford tomorrow and make up an excuse."

"Stop, Dad. I can handle myself. And I can handle this account. And like Jimin said, we're going to be working together in the future anyways – I'd like us to get off on the right foot."

"I'd rather you not get off on any foot. I'm so sorry for bringing this down upon you."

"Please, don't blame yourself. We aren't doing anything illegal for them anyway – it's just business. Let's treat it like any other."

"Still. If anything comes up or you are uncomfortable in any way, you tell me as soon as possible. Otherwise, you have my full support. Pick whoever you need for your team – even if they're occupied, I want you to have the best behind you when dealing with the Park's."

"Thank-you," you leaned up on your tiptoes and gave your father a peck on the cheek. "I won't let you down, I promise. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go research strip clubs and restaurants." Your father's mouth fell open, but before he could say anything, you skipped out of his office and headed back down the hall towards yours.

Later that afternoon, you found yourself on the patio of a chic cocktail lounge, surrounded by your friends, your boyfriend and a litter of drinks all here to celebrate your first account and the end of the Friday workday. After a few rounds, you were starting to feel really good, and a little loose lipped as you began revealing the events of the day.

"You mean, Park's as in Stanford? Jimin?" your friend, Kijung, awed.

"Yes," you nodded as you took another sip of your martini. "You've heard of them, then?"

"Of-fucking-course I've heard of them. They do business with my uncle."

"Well, apparently they do business with me now."

"This is insane, Y/N," said your boyfriend, Jinhyun. "I don't like you around those types of people."

"Your mother deals with those types of people, Jinhyun, why shouldn't I?" you fired back.

"Because, you're my girl," he cuddled up next to you. "I don't want my girl to be in any danger." He was trying to be cute, but between him and your father this afternoon, you were becoming irritated of everyone trying to shelter and coddle you. It's probably why your father liked Jinhyun so much. Plus, he came from old-wealth, he was Ivy League educated and enroute to taking over his mothers business when she finally retired. Your match couldn't get any better for either families. "You don't know what these people can be like."

His last remark cut you like a knife. So, that's what this was about. He thought you were too naïve and too incompetent. Liquid courage behind you, you snapped. "You just don't think I can handle it!"

Jinhyun's face dropped. You rarely, if ever, became cross with him.

"No, babe, that's not it. I think you can handle anything you put your mind to," he patted your head.

Ugh. Now he's patronizing me, you grimaced internally. However, you really weren't in the mood for a fight. Especially not in front of a crowd, nor on an evening when you were flying high. So, instead, you let if go, softened your eyes and smiled back. "Thank-you."