Chapter 16

"Dad!" you said, trying to hide the shock and shame in your voice. "Mr. Park," you stuck out your hand to shake Jimin's father's hand.

"Sir," Jimin did the same, offering his hand to your father. The exchange was a bit intense. You noticed how your fathers glare flitted over you, and you became painfully aware and self-conscious about wearing last nights dress to a "work" event. In an instant, you went from feeling like a powerful, sexy businesswoman to feeling like you were fourteen years old again, getting caught stealing ice cream from the freezer before dinner.

"We heard you two were down here today," Stanford spoke boisterously, seemingly not at all aware of what was going on. "So, we insisted on coming by... see how the next generation was getting along."

"We're getting along just great," replied Jimin. You weren't sure if his words were supposed to be suggestive, but under the hardened aura of your father, you were ready to smack Jimin in the back of the head.

"We were just down here to review the process of the renovations and to discuss next steps to the remodeling," you smiled, trying to make it seem like you being there was purely work related. Jimin nodded along with you.

"Well great," said Stanford. "Perhaps you could walk us through it?"

"Of course," you gestured your hand towards the hall, guiding the men back towards the main room. You caught Jimin's look as they turned their backs on you. He pursed his lips and widened his eyes in a silent "that was close" message to you. You returned his thoughts then stepped out of the room to follow Stanford and your father out – but Jimin didn't let you make it without a quick squeezed to your backside which you promptly slapped away.

The tour of the establishment was also tense. Your father kept silent for the most part, and you did your best not to stand too close to Jimin for fear he would figure it out.

"I'm impressed with both of you," Stanford said when the tour was over. "I think you're making a great team."

"Thank-you, sir," you smiled graciously.

He turned to shake your father's hand. "And I expect both of you to come to my son's birthday gathering. Bring your wife of course."

"We look forward to it," your father replied.

"Now, if you'll excuse us for a moment," Stanford turned and placed his hand on Jimin's shoulder. "I need to speak to my son privately about some important matters."

"Of course," replied your father. "Y/N and I will be heading back to the office anyway." Jimin and you caught each others' eyes for a split second. Your day of playing hooky wasn't exactly panning out as planned.

"We'll be in touch," you reached out your hand to Jimin for him to shake it – your stare pleading with him to keep his cool.

"For sure," he took your hand and shook it. You noted that this was the most professional he had ever treated you. With that, you left the building and hopped into your father's car.

The ride was silent for the first several blocks. You didn't know what to say. You didn't know what your father knew. And you were feeling anxious about returning to the office in your cocktail dress and Jimin's jacket. But you noticed the driver turn onto the highway, and you knew in an instant that the office wasn't where you were returning.

"You didn't come home last night," your father broke the silence.

"Umm, no. I stayed at a friends house."

He went quiet again and you felt nervous for lying to him.

"I told you, you need to be careful when it comes to the Park's. They're not good people."