Chapter 9

Jimin opened the door for the car and let you slip yourself into the back seat. He then climbed in himself as security took the front, started the car then drove off into the night. You two sat in silence for a long time, saying nothing to each other. Not even acknowledging each other – but the tension hung heavy in the back seat. Jimin raised his hand and pushed a button located on his door. The partition between you and the front then slowly closed, giving you two the privacy you probably needed.

But he still didn't say anything. He just looked forward, his jaw clenching every so often. You turned your head to peer out the window and watched as the streetlights flung by. You were aggravated. Irritated that it had come to this, but at the same time, you wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

After another few minutes of driving, Jimin finally broke the silence.

"What the fuck were you doing?"

You flung your head around to look at him.

"So, we're talking now, I see?" Jimin didn't look back to you, he continued to stare before him. "Great. How about you start by telling me where the fuck you've been."

"I've been busy."

"Ha!" you mocked him with a laugh. "Isn't that a line."

"It's not a fucking line. It's the truth."

"So busy you couldn't pick up the phone?"

"Yes."

"Doing what?"

"I can't tell you."

"Can't... or won't?" you seethed.

"Both."

"So that's it. One minute you have me naked in your bed and the next I don't here from you for over a week – and you can't even provide me with an explanation? Is that how this is going to go down?"

"Yes."

"Well, that's not good enough for me," you turned back to the window, angry and heartbroken. You had at least hoped that once you finally got to see him, he'd have some answers for you. "I think I should just go home."

The car fell silent again – the frustration palpable - but no one notified the driver of your sudden change in plans. After another few blocks, Jimin spoke again.

"Y/N," he said softly.

"What?" you snapped back.

"My life isn't like yours. There are certain things that I do. Things you wouldn't understand. Things that would frighten you."

"You're underestimating me, Jimin. Just like every fucking one else does."

"I'm not... that's not what I'm doing."

You turned your body this time to face him again. "Then tell me," you begged.

He let out an audible sigh and closed his eyes. "I don't want to," he whispered.

"Why?"

He shuffled uncomfortably in his seat. It was a first – to see him like this. To see him... vulnerable. He needed a moment to collect his thoughts. So, you let him, holding your breath as you waited.

"Because I like the way you look at me," he began. "If you know the things I do, that'll change. I don't want it to change."

Your chest tightened as he said it. He was... afraid? Afraid of what you'd think of him if he told you where he was all this time? Your head spun with the possibilities. Did he have to do something bad? Did it have something to do with drugs or weapons? Did he have to hurt someone?

It was a stark reminder that you two did come from different worlds. His of the dark, yours of the light. Would you be able to deal with that contrast if whatever was going on between you two continued?

After a moment, Jimin found the courage to finally look at you. He turned his head and his eyes pleaded with yours. "Can you promise me that if I'm honest with you – that if I let you into my world - that won't change?" He raised his hand, brushing his thumb once over your chin. "That you'll still look at me like this?"

You swallowed. It hurt to see him in this vulnerable state, knowing that you couldn't give him the answers that he wanted. Regardless, at least you could be honest with him.

"I... I don't know," you replied.

He pursed his lips and nodded solemnly.

"Then don't ask. And I won't have to tell you what you don't want to hear."

"Alright," you nodded in agreement.

"Do you still want to go home?"

"No," you slid along the seat, shuffling yourself closer to him. He stretched out his arm making room for you to curl yourself into him. "Take me with you," you said as he pulled you in and sniffed your hair.

You took his hand into yours, twirling your fingers around his, drawing circles in his palm. You watched as he reciprocated your gestures. His featherlike touches made the butterflies in your stomach return, and you remembered how much you loved those hands just a week ago. How they held your hips; how they caressed your breasts over your shirt; how you wanted them so badly against your bare skin.

You ran your palm over the back of his hand and laced your fingers through his – lifting it to bring his digits to your lips. Softly, you kissed the tips of his fingers, one after the other. You knew he was watching you closely as you did. You could also feel his heartbeat beneath his chest pick up in pace. You wanted to turn it up a notch. Now that your differences were at least set aside for the moment, you wanted to get back to the business that had you here in the first place.

You parted your lips and pulled the tip of his index finger into your mouth. He inhaled as you did, and you felt his body stiffen beneath your touch.

"Don't think I've forgotten about the bar," he rasped. "I don't like seeing you with other men and I won't let it slide."

"Oh?" you cocked your eyebrows patronizingly up at him. "And what is it going to be this time, Mr. Park?"

He licked his lips, challenged by your attitude. "You don't believe me?"

"Well," you sighed teasingly. "It's just... you've promised to take me to bed. That hasn't happened. You also said that I would pay for leaving you that night. I have yet to receive my punishment. It just seems to me your all bark and no bite, Mr. Park."

"I assure you, princess, I do bite."

You tilted your face up to Jimin's, he leaned in to catch your lips, but you pulled back just in the nick of time to leave him nipping at air. His eyes flared at your defiance, a heat and desire behind them that you felt deep in your gut.

"I think it's about time you showed me, Mr. Park."