Getting better

It's had been four days since the accident, he'd been in the hospital four days now and he hadn't woken up.

My mom came to see him twice and bought me extra clothes because she knew I wasn't going home, or back to the Callahans.

The day of the party, when the ambulance arrived Xavier was carried out in a stretcher. As they carried him out, I yelled

"You did this! You're a monster!" I pointed at his father. I didn't care who was listening, I was going to make sure everyone knew what had happened.

"Let me go!" I screamed as they tried to hold me back.

Ms.Betty and I rode in the ambulance with him. I sobbed the whole time and wouldn't let go of him.

At the hospital he went into surgery and the doctors said it went well and that he should wake up after a few hours. A few hours turned into a few days.

Ms. Betty left when he got out of surgery, I think it's because she was afraid to face him. I know she felt bad and I know it hurt her too. I wanted to tell her it's not her fault. But I couldn't. Even though I felt bad for her, I was angry. I felt like she was the reason he was almost taken away from me. I was so angry I could kill her. Instead, I just let her leave.

The doctor told me that their x-ray showed that he had two broken ribs and a fractured shoulder that looked about a month old. I did g know what to say. I knew exactly what he was implying and he was right. Xavier was a victim of abuse.

I always chose to see the strongest parts of him, how resilient he was, but I didn't see the weak parts. And those were important too.

I slept in the hospital for 5 days, and on the 5th night, he woke up.

"Hello?" A hoarse voice spoke into the dim hospital room.

I shot up from the couch "Xavier?" I smiled brightly when I saw his baby blue eyes sparkle. I instantly started crying. I hugged him and kissed him over and over. I held his hand and didn't let go.

"Honey? What happened to me? How did I get here?" He started crying now too.

"What's the last thing you remember?" I asked

"I remember you were wearing a black dress, and you were crying and screaming, but I couldn't see anything, and there was blood everywhere."

He spoke quietly and frowned, Tears fell slowly down his cheeks. "Honey, where's my mom?"

"Um, your moms home, taking care of the girls" I lied, his mom was out of the country, on a business trip.

"She isn't coming is she" he said quietly, looking away. I stood quiet, and he knew what I was thinking.

"It's okay, I'm happy to see you" he kissed my hand that was clung onto his.

"My mom is coming, with the girls" I said cheerfully. "She's been waiting for you to wake up" I laughed

"Of course she has" he smiled. "She's the best"

He rested a bit more and the nurses came in every once in a while to check on him. About an hour later my mom practically ran into the hospital room with six blonde little girls.

"Xavier! I'm so happy you're awake. Mijo que asustada me tenías" she kissed his cheek over and over again. (I was so scared for you)

His sisters climbed on his bed all around him and talked his ear off about anything and everything. They told him how much they missed him and his annoying jokes. They stayed until visiting hours were over and Xavier was asleep again.

It was hard for him to stay up for long Periodt of time, and he still had a lot of head pain, but he was happy to be awake. The nurse told us he would be discharged in one week. He was doing so much better I had almost forgotten about all the bad things we had waiting for us at home.

In the middle of the night I heard him call me "honey?" He whispered "are you sleeping?"

I laughed to myself. "No, are you?" I whispered back.

"No" he responded, I could hear his smile.

"I'm so sorry" his voice was shakey.

"Why, baby?" I held him tightly.

"Honey, I think I remember what happened" he sighed.

"What do you remember?" I asked

"My parents were horrible to you. And we started fighting. And my mom was crying and my dad was yelling. I remember I was holding your hand so tight it hurt. Then I remember my dad got really angry and the ambulance had to come. And you held onto me the whole time." Tears flowed down both our faces.

"Honey I thought I was going to die." He sobbed into my chest, his body was shaking.

"It's okay" I rubbed his back soothingly. "Your here, with me"

"I love you" he cried hard. "I fucking love you"