Family

Staying at the blue house was fun, it was like playing house with him all the time. We took turns cleaning and cooking, I tried to get him to stay in bed but neither of us could.

It was weird at first, but we got used to it quick and felt comfortable with each other. It was like the beginning of our lives together.

Neither of us had gone to school in about two and a half weeks. I didn't know when we'd return, but I didn't want to think of being anywhere else.

My mom and the girls had come to visit a few times and it was great.

Mamá brought us trays of food for us to heat up because she knows my cooking skills are severely limited and Xavier has never cooked anything in his life.

One night, after a few days, I got a call from my mom in the middle of the night. She sounded frantic and worried.

"Mija, the police came to the house" she said in a hushed tone, probably so the girls wouldn't hear.

"What? What's going on?" I said getting out of bed.

"They left with Mr. Callahan. Ms. Betty told me she has to go in for questioning as well. She told me to take the girls. We're all heading over there now." She said quickly.

"Okay, drive safe, love you" I said as I hung up.

I shook Xaviers shoulder, trying to wake him up.

"Xavier, wake up" he groaned and sat up in bed.

"What happened, babe?" he shot out of bed.

"The cops went to your house. Your parents had to go to the precinct with them." He sat back on the edge of the bed and sighed.

He ran his hands through his hair and hung his head low. "I never wanted this to happen"

"I know babe. But it's for the best." We hugged. "My mom and the girls are coming to stay with us for a while.

"I don't want to break up the family" he said sadly.

"You're not, you're doing the right thing." I caresses his face. 

"I wish he would have hugged me when I was little. I wish he told me I was a good kid. I wish he patted me on the back and told me I did a good job even when I missed the goal at my soccer games." He was red, but no tears escaped. "I wish he was my dad"

"None of this is your fault" I cried "I need you to know that you couldn't have done anything to change him" I wanted to make him understand how he was worthy of love too.

"I still love him." His face was blank. "I thought I would hate him, but I just can't." He was frustrated. "I'm still the little boy who wants his dad to be proud of him" he squeezed his eyes shut.

"Xavier, you cant blame yourself" I said to him.  "It's okay that you love him. It's because you're a caring and forgiving person" I kissed him on the cheek.

We got up and fixed the other rooms. The older girls would stay in the guest room and the youngest ones with my mom.

About 40 minutes later my mom came in. She held some suitcases and the girls lugged in theirs.

"Hey guys!" I said in a happy tone. They looked back at me with a gloomy and worried face. I could tell they weren't okay.

"It's Saturday, right?" I asked out loud.

"Yeah" they nodded.

"Well you know what that means" I put my hands on my hips waiting for a response. "Movie night!" I beamed.

"Movie nights are on Thursdays" Claire said sadly.

"Any day can be movie day" Xavier stated, catching my drift.

"Si! I'm going to make popcorn" my mom went to the kitchen.

We all squeezed on the couch till all of us were seated and began the movie.

As I expected, by the end of the night all of them were knocked out. Each of them were tangled with the person next to them. My mom was passed out with the baby Taylor in her arms.

I looked down to see Xaviers big head laid on my shoulder. His mouth was slightly open and he was fast asleep. I couldn't help but smile.

I was so proud that he spoke out, I know he didn't do it for him, and I know it breaks his heart to do this.

I remembered the time he tried to kiss me, I thought about how nervous I was when he sat close to me. My heart was pounding, he could always Do that to me. It felt like a time when everything was happy and good. It felt right.

I felt lucky that I had a family like this one. It was strange, and it didn't make sense, but it was mine, and it was all I needed.