Chapter 1

SIMON POV:

Seelie Court! It was at Seelie Court that things changed. Ever since I was little I have always had a secret crush on my best friend Clarissa Fairchild, or also known as Clary Fray. I've had my one-night stands, including with my bandmate, Maureen, but none of them could erase my feelings.

But I haven't introduced myself yet, my name is Simon Lewis and I'm 19 years old. I live in Brooklynn with my mother Elaine and my sister Rebecca. My father's death was an impact on our family, especially for my mother, who let herself be slaughtered a little, "fueling" herself with alcoholic beverages, but with the help of friends and family she managed to overcome this phase and today she is much happier.

Since we were little, Clary and I are best friends and inseparable. Every day we went to school together, had lunch next to each other, at school we were always together and came home together, where either at mine or at her house, we played until nightfall.

I always had the dream of being a famous singer, I even had a small band, I mean it was more of a musical duo where we worked in bars, restaurants and cafes. But one day I went from being a simple mundane, who had this dream and I became a vampire daylighter, that is, a rare type of vampire that is not affected by the sun.

How did this happen? It is an excellent question and the answer is simple but at the same time quite complex. On Clary's eighteenth night, Maureen and I had a mini concert in a bar. Everything was going well, there was a lot of audience, they liked us, they invited us to go back there one day and when we were out there, someone was against my best friend, apparently.

What do I mean by that? She simply said that she was a tall, blond boy who had gone against her and didn't even apologize but I didn't see anyone ... I just saw her talking to herself, I assumed she was on the cell phone. His persistence in going to see who the mystery boy was, made us return inside the bar.

From that night on, I started to see my best friend less and less and one day I discovered this world. The shadow world, where all the legends were real. The impossible has ceased to be! There I met the famous shadowhunters, Jace Wayland, Izzy and Alec lightwood. The brothers were kind enough, but Jace seemed a little arrogant and had the impression that he didn't like me that much.

I started to have a regular presence at the institute, not going on missions but on watch with Izzy in the command room, which didn't seem to satisfy Jace. To be honest, I just stayed in that world because of Clary. My whole life was in Brooklynn, my friends, my school, my family and my band.

Days turned into months and something happened. On a mission I went to accompany Clary and Jace, I died. When I realized I was buried, in a kind of forest and with a hunger I had never felt. I did everything to get out of there and when I did I found myself looking at me, Jace, Clary and Raphael, a vampire who saved me from the clutches of a half-crazy vampire.

It was on that cold, dark night that Simon Lewis died! Now I was a monster that sucked people's blood. How can I settle for this life? On top of that when I didn't choose it?

I tried to go back to my normal life but I realized that it was no longer normal and that I couldn't pretend to be. I had to let my family live their lives so I told them that I was going to start college and that I was going to live on campus. It was the only way I found to get away from them without them thinking that I was hurt.

With no place to stay, I went to live at the institute for a few weeks, but due to a shadowhunter who had become a chief, I had to leave and Luke offered me the boat house so I could stay there as long as I needed.

The truth is that I got away from my friends a little bit but Clary was getting closer and closer to Jace and that was not good for me. The closer they got, the less chance I had of having a loving relationship with her. It's hard to be impartial every time she talks about him and how fantastic he was. But our friendship is more important than my feelings and that's why I pretended that everything was always okay.

The day Izzy told me that they kissed, was one of the worst days of my life. That's when I knew that my chances with her were nil. They liked each other and there was no going back. I had to forget about it anyway!

From that day on I tried to get close to Jace, whether he wants to or not he is part of the life of my best friend and mine too, since sometimes we go on missions together.

"I still don't understand why the vampire came with us!" Exclaimed Jace when we arrived from a new mission.

- Because I can be a valuable help.

- Valuable? Let me laugh! You are the most clumsy vampire I know.

- You can stop arguing. Is this always going to be like this? "Asked Izzy, coming to our side.

- I'm leaving, I've seen that I'm here too much.