O N E // The Only Exception

Unless otherwise stated, it will be in Harry's POV. Enjoy.

"You remind me of Shaggy from Scooby Doo."

"How?!"

"You're a complete idiot and you have shaggy hair." I pout while Niall laughs. He reaches over and pokes one of my dimples, causing me to smile and swat away his hand lovingly.

“Shut up.”

“You say that because you know I’m right.”

“Shut up Niall, stop being so full of yourself” He only chuckles, his smile was blinding. Over the years I have come to love his smile. Especially from that one fateful day at the park.

If you were to tell me that Niall would become one of my best friends, I don’t believe that would surprise me. We were practically inseparable since we were 8. We did absolutely everything together, from going through school and pranking our teachers to trying out for the football team. I always felt my best when I was with Niall.

We just worked so perfectly in sync that it felt that nothing could stop us. But as we grew older, feelings began to change and I saw Niall in a different light than before.

“Remember that one time that I stole Gemma’s shorts to get your attention?” Niall brought me out of my thoughts, pulling me into a memory when we were younger. I was only about ten, having to do my chores and hating every single second of them. I was assigned to hang out the clothes to dry.

Around that time, Niall was still a twiggy little boy but as I quickly found out, he was older than me and was always getting into trouble. I took a break from hanging the clothes, Gemma bribed me to do hers since she was too busy being a fussy teenager to care about the chores.

The seconds that it took for Harry to turn his back, Niall, who moved across the street and Harry just never noticed before they became friends, ran into the yard and stole Gemma’s shorts. Harry turned around to only catch a glimpse of the blond running back to his own yard.

“Hey!” He had shouted after Niall, who only smirked and ran into his house, the shorts in tow.

Harry ran after him, after he had asked his mum to go over to the Horan household and explain the whole ordeal. His mum laughed, ruffling his hair and saying yes.

I had run across the street, looking both ways of course before I crossed and knocked on the door. Niall answered, smiling like the idiot that he was.

“Give me the shorts back Niall.” I said sternly. The smile wiped off his face as he brought the shorts from behind his back.

“M’ sorry.”

“It’s okay Niall.” I gave him a hug since he had looked so rejected, and he hugged back immediately. I loved his hugs, then and now. I always felt safe in his arms, even though he was shorter than I was.

“Yeah that was part of the good days,” I smiled down at Niall now, we were laying down on my bed in our tiny apartment. We had moved there a few months prior, a present from both of our parents for our 18th birthday. Niall’s birthday had already passed and mine was coming up soon.

“Do you remember when Louis had tripped you in front of the class and we found our secret hideout?” Niall asked, playing with my curls.

I can’t really help but frown at that memory, even though Louis and I were good friend now. The small fairy like boy had moved into the town the summer before the shorts incident. School was starting up when everyone had met him. I could see the older kids making fun of him and his small structure.