//Defense against dark arts

Y/n walked into the Great Hall and  took her usual seat next to Draco but didn't say a word to him. He sat with his head in his palm much like yesterday. But this time instead of levitating a fork he was simply biting into his green apple. His eyes were staring off into the abyss of empty floor in-front of him. To Y/n being quiet at breakfast wasn't a normal thing for Draco, but not wanting to push and invade his privacy she just shrugged it off.
She used her wand and made some of the breakfast entrees neatly and deliciously placed on plates in front of her float into the air and right onto her place. She ate her biscuit as she watched he cup full with pumpkin juice.

"Why are you so quiet" y/n finally asked Draco not being able to handle the silence from the blonde next to her. He slowly snapped out of his daze and looked at her
"I'm just tired, haven't got much sleep last night" he whispered seemingly like he was in no mood to talk. Y/n sighed
Draco rolled his eyes and shook his head

"who's class you have next" he asked. Y/n took out the folded piece of parchment from out of her robe pocket and glanced at it, reading Draco her new schedule.
"Well after breakfast I have a free period, then I go to Defense Against the Dark Arts, Charms, Herbology, Divination, Transfiguration, and lastly potion" she wasn't Particularly disappointed with her Schedule since she did love Portions, Defense Againt the Dark Arts, and Charms, but the rest of her classes she could care less about.
"Divination is probably gonna be as dreadful this year as it was in the past. I heard that Centaur and Professor Trelawney are dividing the classes this year. Professor Trelawney's taking the 6th years." She said to Draco but he seemed to not be paying attention to her words but she continued "I can't wait to see Hagrid again though , I must still keep apologizing for the what you did 3rd year" she laughed
"Why should you care, that giant bird almost killed me, anyway we have Potions and Transfigurations together" Draco said looking at his schedule.
Blaise nudged Y/n's side "looks like we've got a free period and Defense Against the Dark Arts together"
She sighed into a laugh "I bet Snape can't be worse that the professors we've had in the past"
Y/n sipped on her pumpkin juice.
She glanced ahead of her at the Gryffindor table "I think Potters got the same D.A period as us" she said getting a glimpse of the schedule that was lazily being held in his hand.
"Oh giddy" Blaise said sarcastically.
Y/n watched Draco slip back into his dazed state. She wondered what truly was bothering him. She didn't like seeing one of her best friends like that. She suddenly remembered the reason why.

"Draco my father sends his regards to Lucius" she spatted out before she forgot again hoping it would lift his spirits the slightest. But I didn't. He just gave her a small smile. She huffed and began to eat the food that was on her plate

Her free period passed by quickly after lunch. Her and Blaise went back to the common room to catch up on some light studying and once they were done decided to taunt some lost first years who were late to they're classes. She and Blaises walked side by side to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Y/n watched as she saw Granger waiting outside with armful of heavy books, she was talking to Potter

The classroom door swung open and startled y/n slightly. Snape stepped out into the corridor, his face scrunched into his signature scowl and his black greasy hair shaped his face perfectly. Silence filled the corridor.
"Inside" he said
Y/n looked at the scenery as she entered. Snape had already personalized the room to his liking. It was dark and gloomy inside and the curtains on the windows had been drawn making the room extremely dark. The only light was by candles. There was pictures hung up on the walls. Pictures of people in pain.
Y/n sat down in front of the class with Blaise following next to her. She took her book out of her bag and placed it on the desk.
"I have not asked you to take out your books" Snape said closing the door after the last student walked in.  He walked behind his desk and faced the class and Y/n quickly dropped her Confronting the Faceless book back inside her bag and sank down into her chair
"I wish to speak to you, and I want your fullest attention" Snape spoke again. His dark eyes surveyed over the silent students lingering on Potter and eventually herself
"You have had five teachers in this subject so far, I believe...Naturally, these teachers will all have had their own methods and priorities. Given this confusion I am surprised so many of you scraped an O.W.L in this subject: I shall be even more surprised if all of you manage to keep up with the N.E.W.T work, which will be much more advanced"
Snape walked around the edge of the room speaking in an even lower voice than natural.  The whole class turned they're heads making sure to keep their eyes on him.
"The Dark Arts" Snape said "are many, varied, ever-changing and eternal. Fighting them is like fighting a many-headed monster, which, each time a neck is severed, sprouts a head even fiercer and cleverer than before. You are fighting that which is unfixed, mutating, indestructible"
Y/n noticed Snape speaking toward the Dark arts in a loving tone. She rolled her eyes and leaned in closer to Blaise.
"This class just got boring" she whispered to him. He nodded furiously at her comment.
"Y/l/n I suggest you stop talking and pay attention" Snape's voice boomed, making Y/n jump a little. She huffed and leaned her head on her palm. Just like Draco.
"Your defenses" Snape said with a loud voice "must therefore be flexible and inventive as the arts you seek to undo. These pictures" Snape pointed his wand at a few of the pictures hung up on the wall "give a fair representation of what happened to those who suffer, for instance, the Cruciatus Curse" he waved his hand towards a witch who was screaming in agony. "Feel the Dementor's kiss" he pointed at a wizard lying huddled and soulless, he was slumped against a wall. "Or provoke the aggression of the Inferius" he  pointed at the last picture. Y/n observed a bloody mass upon the ground. She sighed at the gory scene.

"Has an Inferius been seen, then?.....Is it definite, he is using them" A high pitched voice asked. Y/n identified her as Parvatil Patil.
"The Dark Lord has used Inferi in the past" Snape said "which means you would be well- advises to assume he might use them again. Now.."
He walked again over to the opposite side of the classroom towards his desk. The whole class still eyed him closely. Y/n stared at his dark robes that were flowing behind him like capes.
"...you are, I believe, complete novices in the use of no verbal spells. What is the advantage of a nonverbal spell?" He asked.
Y/n and Hermione's hand both shot up quickly in the air. Snape looked between the two and decided between his better favorite student
"Very well, Miss Y/l/n?"
"Your adversary has no warning about what kind of magic you're about to perform" Y/n said "which gives you a split- second advantage."
"An answer copied almost word for word from The Standard Book of Spells, Grade Six. 10
Points to Slytherin" Snape said dismissively.
Y/n heard Hermione sneer in jealously because she couldn't have the glory of knowing the answer.
"But correct in essentials. Yes, those who progress to using magic without shouting incantations gain an element of surprise in their spell- casting. Not all wizards can do this, of course; it is a question of concentration and mind power which some..Lack" Said Snape giving Potter and long and hard look.
He started talking again
"You will now divide into pairs. One partner will attempt to jinx the other without speaking. The other will attempt to repel the jinx in equal silence. Carry on" Snape walked back to his desk leaving the children to Jinx each other.
Y/n knew most of the student had never casted a charm without speaking and she knew a reasonable amount of cheating was about to subdue. Many people were simply whispering the incantations instead of saying them out loud. Y/n however, already knew how to cast nonverbal jinxes. Her father made sure to teacher her before she started her new year.
Within ten minutes Y/n had been able to repel Blaises Jelly-Leg jinx without saying a single word. Her knowledge gained the Slytherin house another 20 points.

"Pathetic, Weasley" Y/n heard Snape say after a while "Here let me show you"
He pointed his wand at Potter and Potter reacted instantly. He must have forgotten nonverbal spells and yelled "protego!"
His Shield Charm was so strong Snape lost his balance and hit a innocent desk. The whole glass went silent as Snape gained his balance and scowled.
"Do you remember me telling you we are practicing nonverbal spells, Potter" he spat
"Yes" Potter said stiffly.
"Yes...sir" Snape corrected him.
"There's no need to call me sir Professor" Potter said. Several people gasped and y/n scoffed, rolling her eyes.
"Detention, Saturday night, my office...I do not take cheek from anyone, Potter..not even 'the Chosen One"
Y/n smiled at Potters unfortunate detention. The rest of the class went by smoothly. Y/n  slung here bag around her shoulder and headed off to Charms.