14.

My heart raced extremely faster than normal, that it felt as though it was too big for my chest.

Followed by a striking headache which seemed to only affect one said of my brain, and then the sweating of my palms and toes.

I watched as my classmates all queued up one after to the order to check their jamb result (an exam taken by all final high school students in order to determine their entry into the country's university).

It was either the network was bad or some result were still pending. Just as some people left in victory, some left with disappointment.

But,  which was I?

That, I was scared to check.

Oh God, please let me pass, please let me pass.

I prayed sincerely, hoping that I atleast get or pass average.

"Please can I check mine?" I asked a classmate of mine whom others were using his phone,  either because theirs was dead or they had no data subscription.

"Okay no problem" Muhammad replied as he gave me his phone.

My hand trembled as I held the phone, inserting all my details before proceeding. My heart danced and weighed heavier than usual as I awaited my result.

The moment it showed, I closed my eyes for a brief second before opening, all with racing heartbeats. My eyes scanned the total result and unknown kind of feeling seeped through me.

I passed that was one of the victory in my heart, but the other which felt that I expected better. I thought i did better than what I got.

"Guy, wetin you get (what did you get)" I hear Muhammad ask one of our classmate as my attention drifted off to them,  all while still with the phone and glued to the floor pretending as though, I haven't seen it yet.

"190 fah. Mehn I know try o (I didn't pass too well)" yusuf melancholy said.

"Atleast you pass the cut off now" Muhammad encouraged and I soon felt ungrateful at myself.

"That's true sha.  Thank God" yusuf replied.

Here I am thinking I should have gotten better while someone who didn't even get as I did, is still being positive.

217.

That's what I scored, over 400.

So yes, maybe it's not 300 or over, but I passed and that's what matter.  I passed the cut off and even though it may not be enough for what I want to study which is medicine, I should still be grateful.

So yeah,  thank God.

"Thank you" I smiled gratefully at Muhammad as I handed him his phone.

"What did you score?" he asked.

"217" I told him with my lips pressed together.

"Wow congrats you passed" yusuf smiled.

"Thank you" I replied leaving the both of them to go back to the hostel.

Not everyone was back to the hostel as it was still 12pm. The common room was a bit scanty, just Aminah was there, a junior in the hostel.

I removed my uniform and plumped down on the couch,  while I joined Aminah to watch TV. We were going to have classes by 4 later on,  but as of now we were free. It was either some of my classmates were still hanging around or they were art students and had classes.

I decided that when my phone was full I was going to call my parents and tell them of what I have just know. I don't know if I was scared or not, if my parents also would have expected better, because honestly speaking I did.