Chapter 15: Battleground Part 1

The sight in front of us reminded me of California, when the Chitauri were attacking. The bodies of the poor souls who were caught lay bloody on the ground, some trying to crawl to safety, some just still. Blood splattered along the roads, the buildings, even painted the faces of the murderers. Everyone was here, not just the Brotherhood. Venom, Doc Oc, Green Goblin, Sandman and all of the mutants under the command of Magneto. This battle was different, obtaining the tesseract would be easy. It wasn't heavily guarded, and there was no visible force-field. Loki would be able to get it in ten minutes, tops. But that wouldn't be the end, that would just stop the power-outages around the city, the mutants would still be fighting. We have to beat everyone, or cause them to retreat or surrender. I gripped the butt of my gun on my hip, then feel along my knife collection, counting each one. I looked to my right, above me was the tall Loki, gazing on the massacre with blank eyes but clenched jaws. The three of us were stunned, not knowing what to do. Do we just charge in and fight? I got my answer. A small girl, part of the brotherhood, lunged herself at me. I fought her off, the other two beside me rushing into the battleground.

I saw Loki out of the corner of my eye stabbing someone in the stomach with his spear, Emily to my right crushing someone under a car. I pulled out my knife, and cut the small girls arms, just enough to make her retreat in pain. Another young man replaced her, he had spikes covering all exposed skin. I fought him off with two knives in my grip, cutting his face and arms. He left me with a couple scrapes, but nothing I couldn't handle. I felt pressure against my back, I looked up to see the sleek curves of the Norse god's helmet. Loki and myself were back to back, battling our opponents without trouble. Until a snarl from beside us caught us off guard, and a very muscular man lunged at Loki, flashing his metal claws protruding from his fists at Loki's throat. I pulled on this man, who matched the description of Wolverine.

"Stop! He's on our side!" Grabbing his arm that was about to slash at Loki's face. His grip didn't loosen, but his eyes darted to me.

"He's the demon from California, how do I know he didn't cause this." He snarled at me.

"Will you use your damn eyes! Magneto caused this, Loki just wants his ancient relic back." I looked at Loki, he was slightly pale but didn't seem afraid. His claws retracted back into his skin.

"Do you trust him young lady?" Using a slightly more sweet voice this time.

"I trust this man with my life." I spoke, standing straight. As I said it, I felt something tugging in the back of my head, like someone was pulling at a string. 

"So he's not some sort of mad man?" Wolverine asked.

".....I trust this man with my life." I said a little less confident, the tugging was back, but had migrated to my chest. It felt like someone was pulling me to them. Wolverine released Loki, nodding at me. He raced off in another direction, slashing his claws into someone's face. Loki stepped closer to me.

"Did you mean that?" He spoke in a low voice, his eyes full of wonder. I nodded with a smile. I held my hand out to him. 

"Do you trust me?" He took my hand and bowed.

"Completely." The tugging feeling became so strong until something seemed to..click. It was like I could read his eyes perfectly, his heart was beating fast, he could feel something too. The moment was cut short when something flew between us, we both drew our weapons and headed off in different directions. I was just about to slice into the thick skin of a older man when another tackled me to the ground. I looked at my attacker, it was a hero. Spiderman.

"Get off me web-head!" Yelling at my boyfriend, still mad at him for earlier, plus the fact he had just tackled me. He grabbed onto my throat, making my breathing very difficult.

"Stop...Peter...please." Trying to grab his arms to yank him off of me. He seemed surprised and dropped me, I landed coughing and gagging on the ground.

"J-Jen?" He asked, leaning down a bit. I nodded, not looking in his direction.

"You're....you....I....I don't believe this." He grabbed my arm roughly and turned me to look at him.

"How could you...." He could barely whisper.

"It's not what you think...I'm trying to help this time. I was going to give up this life, so I could be normal. And also for you..." I wouldn't look at his masked face, but I knew he was furious. He threw me away from him.

"How can I trust you now...You're a criminal..." He ran off to punch someone of the brotherhood in the gut, leaving me in the middle of this war.  I needed my mind off of this, I grabbed my gun and shot the first villains I saw. They fell to the ground, its sad to say but I've missed my gun. More bodies fell to the ground, I looked around to see my surroundings. Emily was fighting along side some of the X-kids, to be specific Shadow Cat and Jean. They shouted plays at each other and really worked as a team. I was breathless by the tenth person I threw to the ground. I was facing off with someone I didn't recognize, she threw a punch, I grabbed her arm to block. Her skin rippeled and turned blue with scales. Mystique. She glared at me, kicking me in the stomach. I took out another knife and dug the blade into her leg flesh. She screamed in pain, her eyes pure evil. She fell to the ground, I thought about ending it for her right this moment, but I heard the faint click of a gun. I looked up, the small weird one, called Toad, had a gun aimed at my head. I could barely gasp before he fired.

I opened my eyes slowly, I was still standing. My body was in a slightly flinched position, but completely unharmed. I looked down and my heart broke. There was Peter, bleeding at my feet. I rushed at Toad, cutting his cheek and kneeing his stomach. I ran back to Peter and dragged him off to a side street that was barely occupied. I removed his torn bloody mask and held his head resting on my legs. I tore off part of my shirt and put preasure on his abdoman. He started to speak but I stopped him.

"Shush, Peter. You're wounded." My eyes stinging with hot tears.

"Reflex, I guess." He turned his head to the side, facing his head away from me.

"Thank you." I choked out, sweeping some of his hair away from his eyes.

"Don't, Jynx." He practically spat at me.

"I'm not her anymore, I promise." Kissing the top of his head, trying to stop the bleeding with my hands.

"Was any of it real?" Looking back at me with such horrible pain in his eyes.

"All of it Peter." I spoke through tears, that were now openly streaming down my blood spattered face.

"Liar." He began coughing again, I held him tighter.

"Please...Peter...." I whispered.

"Jen...just go....." His eyes began to flutter. I shook him lightly.

"Stay with me, please. Don't leave me." I cried.

"Stop the madness Jen...please stop them for me..." He was drifting off fast, I shook him harder, barely able to see through salty tears.

"Peter...Please....don't go...." I held onto his hand with a death grip, still shaking him to keep him with me.

"Take care Jenny....." The grip on my hand lessened, his breaths became short and finally stopped. His chest no longer lifted. I bent down and rested my head on his chest, the faint heartbeat died shortly after. I couldn't stop myself from openly crying over his life-less body, my body heaving from my violent sobbing. I held him close to me, kissing his still warm forehead. I stood up again, still heavily shaking. I looked out into the mob of mutants, ready to avenge Peter's death.

---------

Hey guys!! This is just part 1 of Battleground, what do you think? Sad right? D: Next chapter will be in Loki's POV, so you just have to wait. I hope you liked it. Please leave your question, comments and concerns below and wait patiently for part 2, and if you like it, vote! Thanks again for reading :) Oh, and if you catch any quotes from TV shows I love, I may just have to dedicate this chapter to you.... :) First one to catch it, and tell me what TV show gets it, just for fun :)

Love ya'll!