9

[June 2011]

I ain't have no business laying half way across this bed with my back propped up against a suitcase. My body was way too lanky to not be settled in a comfortable position and I could bet the moment I sat up to leave I would pay for it; more than likely with a crick in my neck and a stiff leg. A nigga would make sure to put all the blame on Riley though for moving slower than fuckin' molasses. She knew about this trip for a good month now but somehow she thought it was a brilliant idea to pack the night before. I came over hoping maybe I could assist her in some way, especially since I was hungry as hell and wanted some Halal Guys. If I waited for her to finish packing by herself I'd be starving all damn night but once I got here she insisted she had it all under control. That was a lie. The time on my phone hit the thirty mark which only meant I had been laying in this awkward ass spot for two hours and she still wasn't done. On top of that a nigga was still hungry and the gum in my mouth was leaving a bland taste now.

"Yo what the fuck is taking you so long?" I huffed as my fingers dabbed away at the beat down QWERTY keyboard of my Blackberry. It was definitely time for me to get a new piece, this thing was holding on for dear life.

"I told you to just leave Lamarr."

"We're supposed to go eat remember? Plus I know your lil ass ate that kale shit for lunch, which was hours ago." Peaking over the top of my phone I spotted her standing in the doorway of her closet with two sundresses and a pair of shorts folded over her arm.

"Where the hell you wearing those?" I asked as my instincts forced me to sit up from her suitcase. That instantly had me wincing in some slight discomfort at the tightened muscle in my neck. The sight of these outfits were creating stress and making the shit even worse.

"Which question you want me to answer first daddy?" The smirk against her lips amused me just as much as my questions did to her but I was dead serious. Where did she think she was wearing them? We planned on going down to Fayetteville for a few days, even though it was a country type of place, Ry would be better off in some capris or some of those Bermuda shorts my mama wears.

It was a given, every man knows that the sight of a woman in a fitted sun dress or some ass shorts was the recipe for a hard dick and I didn't need that shit happening on this trip. Regardless of what she wears, Ry is bound to catch the eye of the opposite sex but this was really for my sake...and that of the creeps of the Ville.

"I'm serious, country niggas aren't like New York niggas. They see skin and a nice body in clothes like that, the next thing you know you the mother of four kids living upstairs of a store front at night while working the register in the day."

"Lamarr what are you talking about?" I dragged my tongue against my lips taking my eyes off Riley as she continued on to her suitcase.

"Can't you just pack some jeans or something?"

"Not for 90 degree weather. North Carolina is located in the ass crack of the devil, I need as much of a breeze as I can get." I let out a deep breath. She was disregarding my request and I knew no kind of persuasion would change her mind at this point. This conversation was a dead cause now.

"Aight fine. Don't say I ain't tell you so."

"Mhm, thanks for caring daddy."

"And can you stop saying that shit?" I warned.

"Stop acting like one then." We both locked eyes with each other after I turned my attention to her as she looked up from her bag. I'm sure by now it was becoming more obvious with my actions that I was always being overprotective with Riley not because she was my best friend but because I wanted her to myself.

For a while now I had a growing curiosity and need to know what it was like to have Riley more than a friend.

There were a many of times a nigga would sit in a daze and imagine the multiple ways I could contort her petite body into different positions or how her face would look at just the slightest graze of my lips against the forbidden areas of her brown skin. Her voice was one of a kind but I bet it would be the sexiest melody to my ears if she were moaning instead. I wanted to blame my urges on the lack of constant sex coming from Melanie but it was much deeper than sexual. I already felt her on the mental level, I craved her sexually and those prohibited emotions Ib warned me about were for sure creeping in. My niggas told me several times over the course of these couple of years to be careful, walk the safe trail with Riley. They would tell me to chill on being around her so much but I couldn't help it. I was not only used to being around her so much but I wanted to be around her. We had surpassed the friendship stage with the flirting thrown around here and there and she had to peep with the many of times she caught me randomly staring at her.

I wasn't sure what to make of all this cause I was still horrible with handling females and relationships so I needed someone that wasn't one of my niggas to help me decipher these sudden feelings and desires. They were inappropriate for a dude in a serious relationship to have but they were also feelings I was lacking in that relationship; they were feelings I depended on and needed to feel, daily. Even with my lack of knowledge in these situations, I knew for a fact it was deeper than the friendship we started back in '09.

This staring contest we fell into after locking eyes was suddenly broken by the vibrations of my phone. My lids fluttered a few times as we both diverted our attention to something besides each other.

"Damn..." I muttered under my breath.

"You have to leave I suppose."

"Yeah, the life calls again. I'm sorry Smurfette." Riley looked up from zipping her bag allowing a small smile to crack her lips.

"Its fine, I'm used to being the mistress to your music. It's just messed up because I was actually done packing." We both chuckled as she walked around her bed into full view of my vision. Her smile widened before she wrapped her tiny arms around my body. The moment we embraced the sweet fragrance of what she called Ooh La La scratched my nose causing me to lightly shut my eyes and slide my arms down to her waist to hold her tighter. The grip was enough to make Riley draw her face away from my chest and stare up at me with an inquisitive look. She was searching for the reason I was hugging her so close or maybe why I was now gazing at her with what I couldn't quite put my finger on all the way.

"You trying to break my bones Goliath?" I shook my head without uttering a sound. I wanted to release her from my arms but I needed a few more seconds. Within those seconds I was anticipating a nigga would get a better understanding of what was going on between us but it wasn't enough.

"I guess I should go." She nodded with a slight grin before I leaned down placing a gentle kiss on her forehead. It took everything in me to not trail a few more down to her lips.