18 - Part I

[Riley]

Leslie sat beside me in the driver seat of her Audi Q7, allowing some old school En Vogue to break through the speakers she barely put to use. This song in particular that we had on a loop held so much nostalgia to it. The first time my ears were graced by the vocals of each of these four women was way back in '96. I was a good ten years old and had managed to sneak into a theater that was screening Set It Off. My parents refused to let me see the movie, they swore the moment I laid my eyes on all the action packed shooting scenes, the sex and what other elements that made this film Rated R, I'd want to engage in it all. Neither thought it helped that I was growing up in a neighborhood that promoted all of the above either so any chance of seeing the movie for myself was dead.

But that's why God blesses us with carefree family members, right?

On the particular Friday night the movie was released, my aunt took Damon and I to see some child flick. The catch about this entire ordeal was the fact that she didn't keep much of an eye on either of us nor did she care much if we wandered the theater with each other. Just as long as we came back and was ready to leave when she was. In the heads of an inquisitive ten and twelve year old that meant we were free to do what and see what we wanted. We found ourselves huddled together in one empty seat, attempting to hide our youthful faces while we watched Jada Pinkett and Queen Latifah themselves in action.

Damon and I were intrigued by everything and him other than I, the infamous sex scene that I'm sure he sheltered my eyes from. It was one aside from Cleo's murder clip everyone is familiar with now. It wasn't the sex that I was so unmindful of that caught my attention though. I cared more about the music, the lyrics that were being chanted in the background. I wanted to sound like the women behind this magic. I wanted to write something as thought and emotion provoking as Don't Let Go. It wasn't until years later in high school when Les and I signed up for a talent show when I was able to relive the moment I not only fell in love with the song but the idea of being a songwriter. The talent was already in my blood but that song brewed the idea. It planted the seed for me to eventually, one day, accomplish that goal.

Running in and out my life has got me so confused. You gotta make the sacrifice, somebody's got to choose. We can make it if we try, for the sake of you and I. Together we can make it right!

Each note that I sang and mimicked just as Cindy, Maxine, Dawn, or Terry would was slowly putting me into my feelings. Each verse that I recited word for word, they were reminding me that in this exact phase of my life the lyrics meant more than they did when I was ten or in high school. They were my inner sentiments that I so badly wished would disappear but they never had and I'm not sure if they ever would.

What's it gonna be? 'Cause I can't pretend. Don't you wanna be more than friends? Hold me tight and don't let go, don't let go! Have the right to lose control, don't let go!"

"Why don't you just become a singer too?" Les teased while keeping her eyes pinned to the traffic ahead of' us. "You're singing this just like En Vogue does."

"Because I'd never make it that far and we both know it. I'll just pen all the classics and keep those residual and royalty checks rolling in along with my other money."

"I hear you girl, I hear you. I'm so glad you were able to come with me to view this vacant space. Sidney and I wanted someone else's input on the place before we made a final choice."

"You know I would've made time for you Les. You always look out for me and I'll do the same in whatever way that I can." Les glanced over at me while a simper creased her lips.

"Aww bitch I love you! I swear I don't know what I would do without you sometimes."

"Same, same." I rambled off with a light chuckle as if I was dismissing her moment of endearment. "Are we there yet? Could've swore you told me this place was in TriBeca, feels like we're driving to another borough."

"Calm down, we're a block away. Hopefully I can find a place to park."