18 - Part II

[Riley]

This repetitive pounding in my head, I wanted it to disappear and I needed it to do it fast. I was feeling like I was at the peak of a hangover that was creating so much disorientation and faultlessly clouding my vision. It was making it difficult for me to recover from the heavy feeling my body held while I slowly sat up from the damp sheets of what I presumed to be my bed.

Everything at this moment was a blur: the coloring of the room, the time of day it currently was and more notably, everything that had gotten me to this moment. Nothing was relaying back to my memory as it normally would have, which leads me to believe that at some point I blacked out and this was the aftermath. I hated to make this assumption but it was the only practicality and thing in general coming to my mind. To add to this maze I found myself in, the vibrations from my phone somewhere nearby were irritating my heightened senses. I really just wanted all of this to cease and if I could just gain some composure, they would.

"My God," I shrieked, but like a slap in the face my cry for help came out in a whisper. Maybe he would still hear it and answer since only he knew the suffering I was experiencing.

The burdensome sandbag feeling in my eyes were keeping them from opening entirely, but they did enough for me to glance around and grab what I hoped was the object aiding all my discomfort. There was a bit of a struggle since, to my surprise, there were a few things resting on my night stand. The first one I snatched wasn't even my phone but it was just like it. The same style, size but the messages that glowed from the screen the moment my finger managed to press the home button, and make out what was there belonged to Lamarr. That's when reality set in, what happened last night was flooding my mind quickly and it was becoming too much to bare at once.

"Why are you here?" I asked with a swift tug of the bottom of the gaping t-shirt that was damn near swallowing my body.

"I wanted to talk. Just hear me out , aight?"

"You want to talk? Okay then, where do you want to start?" I replied back mockingly. "Maybe we can start by discussing what you should do with your hair? I'm sure Melanie would hate to look back and see her two-faced ass husband with nappy hair ruining her photos. Oh wait, let's talk about how exactly you proposed to her. I'm sure you on one knee fabricating your feelings and need to make her your wife was a sight to see."

"Davina."

"Didn't I tell you earlier to call me Riley? That's one of your problems now, you don't listen."

The frustration that was now overwhelming Lamarr could be felt in the small limits of the doorway. He was trying his best to contain himself with a restless sigh and the clench in his eyes as he closed them. It was bothering him that the last thing I wanted to do was talk and that I wasn't going to cut him any kind of slack. There was so much Lamarr and any man with his bad habits could get away with if you let them. I had done it even without intentionally trying to, but it had to end here. 

"Speak up Cole!" I shouted, turning on my heels to walk back into my apartment. There was still a half of bottle of wine somewhere between the path of my kitchen and bedroom, and I needed to drink it all if I was going to entertain this man and civilly. Lamarr however remained where he was, silently adorning the entrance of my door way too long for someone who had something important to say and prove. I'm sure he was probably contemplating if he should follow me.

"Or are you going to stand there and look stupid?" I threatened, hoping maybe he'd see how foolish his plan to come here actually was.

"Riley, I need you to cut a little bit of the sarcasm first. This won't work if you're taking shots at me the entire time."