Chapter 3-Concern and closeup

Unfortunately, nobody wasn't available to hangout either.

Sanem sighed in disappointment as she got back in her car. It was already 10 o'clock.

She had visited  Leila and her brother in law, talking with them until her time passes.

'I wonder if Jan ate dinner yet...is he asleep already?' She thought as she started the car and drove away from the cafe.

"Well, of course...why would he wait for me?"

Sanem shook her head at her own stupidity.

Jan was still up. He was waiting for her.

Was this how she felt every night when she waited for him to get off work? It was so tiring.

He tapped his finger on the couch impatiently as he glanced at the clock. It was getting late...and Sanem wasn't the type to stay out this late and she even said she was gonna be home by 8. He honestly was getting worried.

Jan knew he should've went out with her today. He really wanted to say yes when she had asked him last night, but of course...he wasn't good with words, especially towards her, and ended up saying something cold again.

Jan sighed as every minute passed by felt like an hour. He didn't know how Sanem could do this five times a week, waiting for him, cooking for him, and then just going to sleep. He was making her life so boring.

'Is that why she's out so late?' He thought. She hadn't seen her friends every since they've gotten married, so of course, she would want to spend the whole day with them.

Jan looked at the time again and suggested that if she wasn't home in ten minutes, he'll have to call her.

Jan closed his eyes and leaned back against the couch. He had thought many times about divorcing her...but for some reason, he just couldn't bring himself to do it.

If he lost her, he wouldn't know what to do.

But at the same time, he knew that she probably was so sick of being married to him already. Why in the world hasn't she mentioned anything about leaving yet? He didn't think any wife would want to stay if their husband acted like the way he did.

He wasn't loving. He wasn't caring. He acted like he ignored her most of the time. He was nothing that a wife would want in a husband.

'Why is she still with me?' Jan thought. He asked himself over and over again...because honestly, he would never understand that question.He was torn from his thoughts when he heard the door click. He immediately raised his head and peeked over a little to see who it was.

A feeling of relief washed over him when he saw Sanem walking in.

Slowly, he stood up and went over to her.

Sanem closed the door, locked it, and took off her shoes. When she turned around, she nearly jumped, seeing Ja  right in front of her.

"Y...you're still awake, Jan..?" She blinked.

"Where were you?" He asked bluntly.

"...I was with my friends. I told you that I would be hanging out with them today." Sanem replied quietly as she walked past him. Her body tensed up when he grabbed her arm. It had been two days in a row that he stopped her like this.

"You said you'd be back by eight. You're two hours late." He  glared at her.

"I never told you to wait for me. If you're tired, you could've went to sleep, Jan..." she softly placed her hand on his, and gently pried his fingers off her arm.

He just watched her as she went up the stairs, not looking back once at him. He didn't know how to express his concern. He didn't know how to tell her that he waited for her because he was worried about her.

After showering, Sanem put on her silk pajamas and laid quietly in bed, careful not to disturb him.

He was still awake, however. He stared into the darkness and sighed quietly. He wondered what Sanem thought about every night. Did she ever think of the possibilities she could have had if she weren't married to him?

If she was with another man...that man would probably take care of her, protect her, love her, and hold her every night. Instead, she was stuck with him...for 2 years, they laid in bed like this, back to back, both not uttering a word to each other.

He wanted to show her so badly how much she meant to him. But he had too many doubts to do that.

But...what if he tried, just once?

Gathering up all his courage, he slowly turned around to face her. Her back was facing him.

Jan hesitated, but he boldly reached out and gently...he put his arms around her waist.

Sanem gasped at the sudden contact. She blushed and her heart was beating like crazy. Was he asleep and just holding her unconsciously? Yea, that would make more sense.

But as she turned around slightly and glanced at him, she noticed he was awake. She swore her heart was going to pop out. Why was he holding her like this? This is the first time in their marriage that he held her like this. Sanem opened her mouth to say something, but she was too frozen to do anything.

Seeing that she didn't bother to push him away, Jan pulled her closer to him until their bodies were touching. It felt so unbelievably good to have the woman he loved in his arms.

Sanem grasped the blanket tightly. This was so...it was just too good to be true. This wasn't like him. He would never just hug her like this. Was she dreaming? She closed her eyes tightly and opened them again.

It was real.

She could feel his arms around her waist, she could hear his soft breathing, and her own heart was beating at an uncontrollable paste.

Jan couldn't describe the happiness that was bubbling up in his chest. She actually didn't push him away. Or was it because she was just too scared to?

He dared to hope one more time. "Sanem...turn around..."

Sanem's eyes widened. Did he actually just say that? Gulping, and her hands trembling a bit, she slowly turned around to face him...but she was too nervous to look at him in the face.

It didn't matter to him. He just wanted her to sleep, facing him, for once. Once again, Jan put his arms around her and embraced her tightly.

Sanem didn't understand this. Why was he doing this? She swore that her face looked like a tomato right now...thank god, the room was dark.

Jan closed his eyes. "...next time...come home sooner..." He muttered softly.

Sanem was taken by surprise at his statement. And slowly, she pieced together the puzzles. This morning, he had asked her what's wrong...he had continuously tried to make her tell him...and when she got home, he asked her why she was out so late. And now...he was holding her so lovingly and talking so gently like a caring husband would. She never thought she would ever get to see Jan like this.

She smiled, understanding now.

He kept asking her questions because he was worried about her, because he was looking out for her...because he actually cared for her.