Chapter 28~Perfect Birthday

Frankie checked her phone again with a small frown on her face at the text message Ezra sent her. He needed to help his dad at work today so she had to wait to see him until later in the evening, when they're home. She smiles sadly because she's happy they live together since she feels most safe with him right now. He's been the shoulder she's been able to cry on without him looking at her with a pitiful look.. she knows seeing her this way is hurting him as well. After they cried that night, she and him just cuddled silently, but she could tell he's been thinking about something.

He's been pretty quiet lately and she feels bad for putting him in this state.

And a month later on the day of her birthday she finds herself worried about his demeanor. He left her a plate of her favorite food with a rose and note this morning before he left for work. It was a school break now and she was going to go ahead and try to go to school next week to finish up the year the best way she could. So she woke up pretty late to an empty bed.

"Frankie, can you please be happy," Kayla fussed beside her, after seeing her little sister distracted with her phone as Little Jasmine tried to get her attention as she sat between them. "Your niece missed you!" She exclaimed as she picked up and sat the little curly haired toddler on Frankie's lap, doing her best to cheer her up.

Baby J cuddles Frankie's chest when she puts her phone down and hugs her. She smiles as she sniffs her fresh curls. She looks at her sister and she watched her give her a large goofy grin as she reaches out to pinch Frankie's cheeks. She's been doing this all day as her little sister sulked.

"Can you watch her for me as I go to the restroom," she asked.

Frankie opened her mouth to reply.

"Thanks sis," she kisses her cheek as she gets up from her seat at the restaurant table they were at. Frankie's family- Her mom, dad, uncle, grandpa, sister, and her niece - all decided to go to a little birthday brunch for her on her 18th birthday. She was having fun getting to know her dad, his brother and grandpa. They were all very different from her mom. They were loud and loved to make jokes at the table while her mom smiled and shook her head at them every so often.

Kayla smiled at her family as she pushed the restroom door and took out her phone from her jean pocket, dialing a number she didn't think she had to dial.

"Hello?" Ezra answers the phone after seeing her name flash on the sleek screen. "Kayla?"

"What the fuck, Ezra!?" She says harshly over the phone, making him wince and shush his cousin Brandon, who was blowing up balloons in his mom's living room. He lets the air blow out loudly with a shrug, making his brother Devon slap the back of his blonde head with an annoyed look.

"It's nice to hear you voice, as well," he says sarcastically as he walks out the loud family crew setting up.

"Don't play with me Ezra," she snapped, "Why the hell is my baby sister looking so sad on her birthday? And why aren't you here celebrating with us?"

"I may have been...distant, but I have a good reason!"

"What could possibly be a good reason?"

"I'm throwing her a surprise party at my house with my cousins from Florida," he said, before there was silence over the phone. "Kayla?"His eyes closed as a loud sound ring in his ears.

"Awwweeeee," Kayla exclaimed with a squeal, "You are so sweeettt, I'll let you off the hook this time. But it better be good because I've had to shove my baby in her face to cheer her up all day."

"Don't worry, I think she'll like it."

"Okay, when should we be there?"

"Um," this wasn't the plan but okay. "I- we should be ready by 7:30 tonight."