Chapter 15

A/N - Just a reminder, italics are inside Y/n's head

Y/N POV

The entirety of your shift, the rush of customers didn't slow down. Instead of a nice ebb-and-flow, in which you would take a break in the quiet moments, it was a constant under-the-gun situation. Consequently, your promise to message Jin during your break never happened. As much as you felt bad about it, you were fairly sure when you explained the situation later he would understand. It wasn't your fault that everyone wanted coffee today, and it wasn't your fault that your co-worker was only rostered on for a four hour shift today (lucky youngjae). And honestly, who could predict that the replacement would have to leave an hour into their shift? They received a call from the hospital about a sick relative. There was no hesitance in your mind to send them on their way. Family was important to normal people. Family should be important to most people. So you sent them on their way, and called the manager to explain the situation. No-one could fill in, so you spent the rest of your shift working alone. 6pm finally rolled around, and finally someone else arrived to replace you. Heading into the backroom to clock out, you checked your phone, surprised by the messages you saw.

Bangtan Fam

Jinnie: Hey! Have you had a break yet?

Jinnie: Have you eaten?

Jinnie: When is your break??????

Hobi: Slow down Hyung! Give Y/n a chance to reply

TaeTae: She's only been at work for like 2 hours

Kookie: Y/n probably won't get a break till later

Jinnie: Did you eat yet Y/n?

Jiminie: Hyung

Jinnie: Don't 'hyung' me. It's later now

Joon: Let us know when you get your break Y/n!

Joon: Also, did you want us to take you home after work?

Jinnie: Y/n! If you don't reply in the next 30min.....

Yoongles: He looks pretty serious rn...

Jinnie: Reply, or I am coming over there and bringing you back here when you finish!

It took a while to read through the messages, and even longer for understanding to sink in. That last message from Jin was sent a little over an hour ago. Chewing your lip, you head back out to leave. Standing just outside the front door you could see a broad set of shoulders, the owner of which was facing the street. Maybe it's someone else you reason to yourself. Stepping out the front door as unobtrusively as possible, you try to blend into the crowd.

"You wouldn't be trying to sneak off would you Y/n?" said a deep voice behind you.

Spinning around, you come face to face with Taehyung. As squeak escapes you as you overbalance, and you brace for inevitable impact with the ground. Except it never comes.

"Taehyung! What did I say about scaring people!" says Jin, as he sets you right side up again. Instead of letting you go again, he keeps a hand braced against your lower back. It's unexpectedly warm and comforting, grounding almost.

"But hyung! She was trying to sneak past you"

"I'm sure that's not true now is it Y/n?" Jin says, looking down at you. It's at times like these you curse your height. The discrepancy gives Jin's look an expectant, yet slightly disappointed look, as if he already knows the answer.