Chapter 1

Alaska

I stared at the passing trees through the window of the bus. Seeing the forest surrounding me become thicker and wider.

The bus past a sign quickly, and if I wasn't already looking out of the window I would have missed it.

The sign read:

Thaliquah
Population 1400

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. Of course aunt Maggy would buy a cabin in a place like this.

I smiled as I remembered all the times she would tell me about her home town. Her brown eyes would light up with joy as she spoke about it, waving her hands around as she made silly little gestures.

A sudden sadness filled my chest as her funeral entered my mind. She had died a couple months before from a very violent desease.

I never knew my real parents and aunt Maggy said she found me in a box on her doorstep when I was just a baby. She had always wanted a child, but didn't want the men acompanied by them. So she was always thankful for me. She called me her little miracle child.

She was a head strong indipendant women and would always make sure that I knew I didn't need a man in my life to feel completed. It was just me and her against the world.

When she died she had left me a cabin she owned here in Thaliquah, her home town.

It was a small and cozy town that sat against the coast and was surrounded by hundreds of acres of woods. Everyone knew everyone here and it made me feel rather nervous that I would be considered an outsider.

But as we crossed the barier into town, I couldn't help but feel slightly at home.

I had already applied for a job at a diner called The Paw Print. Don't ask me why it's called that.

I remember Aunt Maggy used to tell me that the woods around here was invested with wolves, but that not once have they been a nusance to the towns folk at all. They kept to themselves mostly, which I found rather pieceful.

She had also left me money in her will. Money that was way too much to know what to do with. But being raised by an independant women like her made me want to be just as her. I didn't want to live solely on the money she left me. I had decided to leave that for a 'rainy day' or something.

Which is why I applied for a job.

Thankfully I got it and I would be starting there tomorrow, so I at least had today to get settled into my new home.

I had only been here once before. Aunt Maggy brought me here one school vacation to show me where she grew up. But granted, I was little and couldn't remember much.

Finally, the bus pulled over next to the road and the only people who got out were me and a man much older then me.

I scoffed, guess that's why the population here is just shy of 1500 people.

Once I had my bags I waited at the side of the road for a taxi to drive by so I could wave it down.

After half an hour I realised that there was no taxis. I groaned and mentally slapped myself. Of course there would be no taxis. This town only had one main road.