Chapter One

The sound of rain drumming on the roof of the inn drew Dominae away from the fire and to the front door. She watched as a bolt of lightning arced through the sky. The sharp crack of thunder followed within seconds.

"Not a fit day out for man nor beast," Perry said behind her, nodding to the outdoors.

"But today's the day," Dominae murmured, not taking her eyes from the scene outside."If they're coming, it will be today."

"Maybe so," Perry said, his tone noncommittal.

Dominae turned to look at her friend. "You didn't mention that Sabba was part of the rainy season."

"It isn't usually. Come on, I'll get you a drink." He walked away from Dominae, leaving her alone at the door.

Dominae grumbled and followed him to the bar. "Feels like I've been cooped up forever," she complained. Her gaze lingered on the healing minion briefly before she turned to Perry again. "I feel like we ought to be doing something."

Perry raised a brow. "Like what, Dominae?" he asked. "Chasing through that weather, looking for people who may show up here, looking for you?"

"Yeah, yeah," Dominae muttered. She grabbed the mug he set before her and took a swig, grimacing at the sour taste of the liquid inside. She took the mug and went to sit next to Minion. "What about you?" she asked. "Don't you feel cooped up?"

"I feel relieved," he said. "You don't have me out in that, looking for your friends."

"I wouldn't do that to you," she said, setting the mug down. She nudged it toward the demon absently. He ignored the mug until she said, "You'll like that better than I will."

Reluctantly, the demon took the mug and sipped from it. His wings were curled tightly around him, making them look like a cape. "It's quite good," he ventured finally.

"Bah," Dominae said. Minion tilted his head. He'd seen Dominae's mood getting worse and worse over the past few days.

"Maybe you'd feel better if we took a walk," he suggested.

"It's pouring outside," she said.

"A little rain won't kill us."

"The lightning might."

The minion ruffled his wings, attempting to look menacing. "It wouldn't dare!" he intoned.

Dominae smiled. "Right, I forgot," she said. "Let me get my coat."

###

The wind and rain lashed at the pair as they walked. "Just down to the lake and back!" Perry had called at them as they'd exited the Coiled Serpent Tavern. Dominae grumbled what she thought of that, but she had no intention of disobeying. Minion curled one wing around his mistress, keeping her close and protected. The girl and the demon were a common sight at the Coiled Serpent these days. Their walks to the lake had started almost as soon as they'd arrived, and by now most of the patrons were used to seeing them together.

It amused Dominae that most people thought that she and Minion were a couple. She supposed in some ways, it was a valid assumption. They were seldom apart.

"You're quiet today," Minion murmured in her ear.

"Just thinking," Dominae said.