Chapter Twenty

After she took the medicine, Dominae was visibly better. She seemed to perk up almost as soon as the stuff was in her stomach. "Why didn't we give you this hours ago?" Sara wondered aloud.

"Because I hate the taste," said Dominae, making a face.

"Sure," said Sara, "because throwing up is so much more pleasant."

Dominae smirked. "You haven't tried the medicine," she shot back at Sara.

"I don't need to. There ain't nothin' in the world that I hate more than being sick. You know that, Domi."

"Yeah," said Dominae. She sighed. "All right, I admit it. That disgusting taste for a few minutes is better than throwing up every fifteen steps."

"Good," said Sara. "We'll mix you some more up in the morning, and no arguing from you."

Dominae said, "Whatever you say, Sara."

"That's right," said Sara with a mischievous grin. "Whatever I say! That's what we're doing now."

"And what do you think we ought to do?"

"Move faster, that's what." She frowned. "Only... you're sure that Cacia will be all right?"

"Believe me," said Dominae. "The minion said he would rescue her or die trying, and I believe him."

"Why?" asked Sara.

"Because..." Dominae said. "I trust him. I... I think I'm in love with him, Sara."

Sara said, "Wouldn't the church have a field day with that? A girl in love with a demon."

"He's not your ordinary sort of demon," said Dominae.

"I should think not," said Sara. "Because you aren't the ordinary sort of girl, Dominae Vaughn."

"I'm not sure whether that's a blessing or a curse," said Dominae.

Sara said, "I guess you could say it was a curse, but I think it's all in how you look at it. So look at is as a blessing and you'll do all right."

"A blessing, then," Dominae murmured. "Seems so weird when I've always thought of being different as a curse. In high school..."

Sara chuckled. "Domi, this ain't high school. Don't matter none what anyone from that world thinks of you. It matters what you think of yourself. And don't ever think anything you do is a curse. You couldn't be a curse if you tried."

"Tell that to my mother," said Dominae, and then she wished she hadn't.

Sara's lips set into a grim line. "When we get back," she said, "I will."

###

Minion and Fern made their way to the thieves quarter of the village under the cloak of Minion's protective spell. Fern fidgeted nervously almost the entire way, making Minion irritated as a result. When they reached the place where they seemed safe, Minion pulled back the spell and said, "What are you so worried about?"

"A good girl from a nice family doesn't come to a place like this," she said. "And in the company of a demon..."

"Must seem odd," Minion agreed. "But you work with what you've got."