Chapter Fifteen

"So you're from the future," Cacia said.

"That's what you tell me," Eddie replied. "To me, it was just... home."

Cacia nodded. "What's it like? Are there robot cars and stuff?"

Eddie gave her an odd look. "Not exactly. We've got computerized houses, and we were just starting to replace the work force with artificial means. A computer was running the defense systems. They said on the news that's how it happened..." He shook his head. "My father always worried about something like that happening. He told me it was inevitable that humanity would destroy itself, sooner or later."

"My father always thought much the same thing," Cacia murmured, "So I suppose it's good that there's little chance he lived to see 2046."

"Yeah," said Eddie. He turned to look at the door to the other room. "So the demon. He's your friend's?"

"Sort of," said Cacia. "From what I can figure, anyway."

The boy nodded. "I heard tales about the demons," he said. "My father knew a lot. He'd studied such things."

"Is that why you can see him?" Cacia asked.

Eddie gave her a sly look. "In part, maybe," he said.

"What else, then?"

"I don't want to say," said the boy, with a grin. "It would ruin the surprise."

Cacia frowned. "Are you planning something?"

"No," Eddie said. "I'm a good kid. Just a little scared, that's all."

Cacia frowned and nodded. "All right," she said. Just then, Dominae and Minion rejoined them.

"We've decided to stay put," Dominae said, looking between Cacia and Eddie. "But Minion and I would like to know more of you, Eddie."

"He's a good kid," Cacia said, "just a little scared. That's all."

Minion frowned and turned his head to look at the boy. "How did you do that?" he asked.

"Do what?" Dominae said.

"He altered Cacia's thoughts, and I want to know how... and why." Minion reached for the boy, clamping a hand on his shoulder like an iron manacle.

"Ow!" said Eddie. "Damn, that hurts! Lighten up, would ya?"

Minion gave the boy a little shake. "What are you?" he demanded.

"Minion!" Dominae said, horrified. "Release him this instant."

Minion turned his fiery gaze on Dominae, but he eased his hand off Eddie's shoulder. The kid rubbed at the spot and glared at Minion. "You didn't have to do that," he said accusingly.

"Then tell me," said Minion, turning to look at Eddie. "Tell me what you are."

Eddie looked defiantly up at the demon. "Ain't nothin'," said the boy defiantly.

Minion smirked. "Your aura tells me otherwise."

"Fine," said the boy, hazel eyes flashing. "Tell me what it says. Or what you think it says."

"There's magic in you, though it's weak."

"How can there be magic in him?" Dominae asked. "He's from my world, Minion. We don't have magic there. Not like what you're talking about, anyway."