Chapter Four

From her previous experience, Dominae knew that Torrin was good with maps. She also knew that he preferred to scout ahead on trips like this, warning her of anything that was unusual. She bowed to the need for the latter and didn't ask him to help her with the map. Instead, Dominae sought out Jason, who knew exactly where they were headed. He didn't seem to mind the newly changed minion in the least, though Dominae could see that Cacia was still stealing glances and frowning. It wasn't until Minion pointed it out that Dominae noticed the thin tale of the mouse, trailing down Cacia's back.

"I see you've brought the mouse," Dominae said conversationally to Cacia, when she managed to get her more or less alone.

"I couldn't leave him to be devoured by that beastly cat woman."

Dominae nodded. "I don't blame you."

"Your demon-- sorry, minion-- certainly looks different today."

Dominae smiled. "Yes, he does."

"You know, he's a lot less scary like that."

"I think that's the point," Dominae said. "He wants to blend in better."

"Why?" Cacia asked.

Dominae shrugged. "So we don't get attacked? I don't know, Cacia. It seemed important to him, that's all."

"Ah," Cacia said.

The mouse stuck its' snout out from under the curtain of the girl's hair and peered at Dominae. "I don't like the way it smells," he said.

"Maybe it's mutual," Dominae replied.

"Hmph!" said Swift Tail. "I smell like a perfectly respectable mouse. That thing--"

"We call him Minion," Dominae said.

"Whatever. He smells of hell."

"That's hardly surprising," Dominae said. "I hear that smell clings to you, even when you've gone." She smiled at the mouse. It gave her a beady eyed stare before disappearing into Cacia's hair again.

Cacia gave Dominae an apologetic look. "I don't smell anything," she said.

"We don't have keen enough noses," Dominae said.

"Be thankful for that," the mouse said from behind the curtain of hair. "It's an awful stink."

Dominae shrugged. "I don't think it would matter that much. He saved my life."

"Did he?" Cacia asked. Her dark eyes were full of interest. "You hadn't told me why you were traveling with a minion."

Dominae said, "It's a long story, but we've got quite a walk ahead. I think I can hit the highlights."

"Good," Cacia said. "I'd love to hear it."

Dominae smiled. "And I've got to tell someone. Someone from home. No one else will ever believe it."

###

The first night's camp was in the shadow of a small village. "They have a tavern," Grey told Dominae, "but I'm not sure we want to show up as a large party. Especially a party with--" He paused. "Creatures."

Dominae nodded. "We're better off to play it safe.," she agreed.

When she announced her plans to the others, there were some protests, most notably from Jason. "I was looking forward to an ale and some information," he grumbled.