Chapter Eleven

Putting down the bedding didn't take long. True to her word, Dominae crawled into her bedroll and was quickly asleep. Cacia, however, lay in her bed and stared at the fire. She tried more than once to close her eyes, in hopes of sleep, but sleep eluded her. Finally, she sighed and sat up. "Can't sleep," she told the minion. "That thing you and Dominae did to find Sara... you're sure it worked?"

"Aye," Minion said. "Dominae herself identified your friend."

Cacia frowned and nodded. "And this feeling lured you this way?"

"Lured all of us," he said.

"Yeah," Cacia murmured. "I keep thinking that this is wrong, Minion. That we're doing something incredibly stupid. That we shouldn't be going this way."

"We can turn back," Minion said. "It isn't too late."

"But that's just it. This is Sara we're talking about. You don't know her, but if you did... If you knew all the things she'd done for Dominae and I... you'd understand."

"I know what Dominae feels for her," said Minion. "I know why Dominae feels the need to risk her life for Sara. I don't know the exact reasoning behind you taking the same risks, but I assume they're similar."

Cacia nodded. "Sara is... I can't explain it. She's a force. Someone that you want to be around, because she draws you in." Cacia frowned, and tried to make the words come. "She knows the right things to say. She can cheer you up, even under the worst of circumstances."

"She sounds like someone who would be good to have around then," Minion commented.

"She is," Cacia said. "Far better to have around than I am."

"I'm sure that's not true," said the minion mildly. "Dominae spent a lot of time seeking you specifically here. You were the one she worried the most about."

"That's because Sara can take care of herself," said Cacia. "She's not helpless. In fact, if I were half as... not helpless as Sara was..."

"What?"

"I don't know," Cacia muttered. "I hadn't thought that far ahead." She gave the minion a look and half grinned. "Which is why you're in charge of this adventure, and I'm not." She shrugged. "Not that it matters to me."

"Dominae called me a general."

"Oh, yes," Cacia said. "Come to that, you do sort of resemble a general. Hold the map and look stern."

"No," said Minion.

Cacia chuckled. "See? You won't take orders. Definitely a general."

"Thank you, I think," said Minion, frowning.

"Sure," Cacia said with a grin. "Anytime, really."

Minion pulled the pot of boiling water off the fire to cool. "You ought to rest," he said finally. "Dominae's gone to sleep, I see."

"I can't sleep," Cacia admitted. "I'm a little worried."

"What about?"

"I think it would be easier to say what I'm not worried about at this point," said Cacia wryly, "which isn't much, admittedly."

"Let's start at the top, then. What's worrying you the most right now?"

"Dominae," said Cacia promptly.