Chapter Thirteen

Morning came too soon for Dominae. She'd rested better than she had since the three of them had left the main group. Much of the exhaustion she'd picked up on the trail started to drain away, leaving her feeling refreshed and ready to go on. When she opened her eyes, Minion was looking down on her with such tenderness that it made her smile.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

"I feel pretty good," Dominae said. "I think I'm ready, yes."

Minion continued to study her, with that mix of tenderness and regret. "I hate to leave this place," he said finally. "You seem to be much better this morning. Perhaps you need another day or two..."

"We've wasted enough time," Dominae said, reaching up to cradle his cheek. His eyes closed at the touch. "The fact is, we could spend all of eternity procrastinating, and it wouldn't get us any closer to Sara. We won't have any real peace until it's done, Minion."

"Aye," he said, leaning into her hand. "I know. But it's nice to have a reprieve."

"I agree," Dominae murmured. "Now we need to win one for Sara."

Minion opened his eyes and looked at her, half amused. "You really do think in only one direction at a time, don't you?"

"Back home, we call that having a one track mind," she informed him, "and yes. When it comes to this, I don't think I can afford more than one track." She sighed. "Because the more time that passes, the more likely I am to forget about her and just walk away. And I don't think I could live with that."

"This place is getting to you," Minion said. "Or maybe it's me. Corrupting what you are. I'm sorry, Dominae."

"It isn't you," Dominae said. "It's human nature. We don't push when things are comfortable. Sometimes, we don't push when they aren't."

Minion nodded. "And things are... comfortable?"

"They're getting there," Dominae admitted. "With you. I could spend the rest of my days in this place with you, and..."

"And what?"

"Well, I can't say there would be no regrets," she said. "I wish I could, but it wouldn't be true. But there seem to be less of them every day. I don't know why that is, Minion, but it means that I'm getting comfortable here."

"Or maybe you're simply resigned," he said, watching her closely. "You've said that if it weren't for the child you're carrying, you would go back to your world."

"That may turn out to be a moot point," she observed wryly. "We might not get back. Any of us." Dominae sighed. "It's true that I'm staying in part because of the child. But it isn't the only thing that holds me here. I have friends. I have you, Minion."

"But is what you have here worth what you'd give up?" he asked.

"I... I don't know. I like to think it would be, yes." She frowned.

"You aren't sure, though."

Dominae shook her head. "I'm just a kid, Minion. In my world, they won't let me do anything important. I'm not old enough to make my own choices there."

"You are here."

"Yeah, but it's a hard thing when you aren't used to it. It's like you. You have a master. When you no longer have that, what will you do?"