Chapter Twenty One

Fern put the notes away into a pocket before looking across the table at Ezra. She studied the thief briefly, then said, "And you're sure this will work?"

"Always has in the past," said Ezra with a shrug. "Don't see why it wouldn't this time."

"There's been a prisoner escape recently," Fern reminded him. "Yesterday."

"Aye," said the man. "Shouldn't matter. The underground entrance has been sealed off for years. No one thinks to check down that way. It's your only hope." He paused. "And there are guard uniforms down there, but they won't believe a girl as a guard." His eyes flicked past her to the demon, which was less invisible than it had been previously. "You'll want him to go."

"That was the plan all along," said Fern coolly, "but thank you for the advice."

Ezra nodded and said, "If you have no more need of me, I'd like to finish my ale."

"Go ahead," said Fern. "You have our thanks." The man nodded and walked off. Fern said, "Do we trust him?"

"Do we have a choice?" countered Minion. He let his invisible shield slip away. Some people stared, but the demon ignored them. "He's the best lead we've got, Fern."

"Aye," the girl sighed. "I know."

"I don't think he's given us bad information," said Minion.

"What if he has, though?" the girl asked.

Minion gave her a grim look. "If he's wrong, you're going to get out of this place. Run."

"Where would I go?" she asked.

"There are places," said the demon. "Come on. We'd better get moving. I need to get to the cells before they hang Cacia." Fern stood and followed the demon out. He made no attempt to hide himself this time, instead linking his arm with Fern's and bending close like a lover. She wanted to recoil, but he murmured, "There's a tavern called the Coiled Serpent. Do you know it?"

"Aye," she said softly. "I know it."

"Head for the Coiled Serpent, if things go wrong. They will take care of you there, if you tell them Minion sent you. Will you remember?"

Fern nodded and took a deep breath. "I'll remember," she promised.

"I'll meet you there," said Minion. "If I don't return in a few weeks, it's safe to assume that I'm dead and the attempt to free your brother and Cacia have failed. They will care for you at the Coiled Serpent for as long as you need it, and then you may go about your life."

Fern said, "I don't expect you to fail."

"Nor do I," said Minion, "but things aren't always what you expect them to be. Where will we meet again?"

"The Coiled Serpent," she said. "I'll tell them you sent me."

Minion smiled. "Be brave, Fern."

"Good luck, Minion," she replied.

"Aye," he said. "I fear I'll need it."

###

Torrin had returned with a pair of rabbits some minutes later. He seemed unaware of the way Sara and Eddie studied him, instead intent on handing over the dead rodents to Dominae. He smiled at the surprised look she gave him and said, "I thought with the four of us, there ought to be a pair of rabbits, at the least. Do you wish help with them?"