Chapter Twenty Four

The drive to the Coiled Serpent took three days total. Sara got her first look at the tavern from the distance and said, "That's the Coiled Serpent?" to her companions.

Dominae grinned. "I know it doesn't look like much from here," she said. "It's more what's inside that counts. The outside isn't all that impressive."

"Though seeing Perry curled up on the front porch is pretty impressive," said Torrin with a laugh.

Dominae grinned. "Enough to scare the hell out of you if you aren't expecting it," she agreed. "That's what I saw the first night," she told Sara. "This huge dragon, curled up on the porch and talking to me. It was very strange."

"I remember you mentioned it," Sara said. She strained for a better look at the tavern. When the wagon pulled up at the front of the inn, Torrin helped both girls down. "Thanks," Sara said, her eyes on the front of the Coiled Serpent. No dragon curled on the steps. In a way, it was disappointing, but she didn't say so.

"Perry has rooms ready for us," Torrin said, starting up the steps. He glanced over his shoulder at Dominae. "He said you could switch rooms, if you liked."

Dominae shook her head. "I'll be fine," she said, straightening her shoulders. "Gives me time and a place to say goodbye."

Torrin nodded. "Aye," he said. "I expected as much." He shrugged and turned away, going up the steps and through the door. Dominae, Sara and Eddie followed along after.

The room looked the same as it had the last time she was in it, Dominae reflected, but it felt different to her. The sense of anticipation had gone out of it. When she'd last been here, she had been wondering about her friends. Now she knew their fates. Perry waved to her from behind the bar and Dominae managed a smile, walking over to settle on one of the barstools. "Perry," she said.

"Domi," he answered, then smiled at her. "You look better than I expected."

Dominae chuckled. "I look better than I have any right to," she agreed. "This is Sara and Eddie."

Perry nodded to them. "Can I get you anything?" he asked. Neither one wanted anything but room keys, so Perry handed those over and turned his attention back to Dominae."I'm sorry," he said quietly, his smile fading.

Dominae nodded. "It will be fine," she said.

"Torrin was worried about you," Perry said, glancing to where the werewolf had settled, some distance away. He was letting the pair have their privacy, Dominae knew. She was grateful for that.

"He was right to be," Dominae said. She sighed. "God, Perry. I don't know what to do, except go back home and lick my wounds. As much as I hate leaving you and Torrin, I can't stay."

"Aye." Perry patted her hand. "I understand that, and so does Torrin. You belong in that other world, Dominae. As much as we love you, you don't belong here."

Dominae bit her lip. "I wanted to, though." She took a deep breath. "Will you tell Aaron goodbye for me? He helped me a lot when we stayed at the Hidden Muse."

"I will," said Perry.

Dominae nodded. "Thank you," she said. "For everything."

"I would have done it for any friend," he said. "You know that."

"Yeah," she said. "But you did it for me." She smiled. "And that makes it different."