Chapter Fourteen

It took them a little longer to return to the inn than it had to leave it. Minion again went behind the hill to shapeshift, then rejoined his companions for the long walk back. Cacia was quiet, casting thoughtful glances at the mouse on her shoulder. Dominae and Minion held hands and walked back as though they'd just come in from some stroll. When the three of them re-entered the inn, the first thing they noticed was that it was in chaos.

"What's going on?" Dominae asked one of the bar wenches, as the girl hurried past.

"Her royal highness is coming," said the girl breathlessly.

Cacia and Dominae frowned at one another. "Pardon me," Cacia said, again catching the frustrated barmaid. "We're new to your lands. What highness is this?"

"Are you daft?" cried the bar wench. "Tis Princess Hope, home from a long journey!"

"Ah," Cacia said, releasing the wench. "Many thanks."

The girl hurried off, and Dominae said, "We better make ourselves scarce."

"How?" Cacia asked. "We've no idea which direction they're coming from."

"There are ways," Minion said. "Come on, we'll go outside."

"But..." Cacia said.

"Stay, if you like," Minion told her mildly. "But the streets are crowded, and we'd at least have some room to run, if it came down to it."

"He has a point, Cacia," Dominae said wryly.

"Two of them, actually," said Minion, "though they aren't visible in this form."

"Not what I meant," Dominae said with a glare. "Come on. We'll go back out." She took the hands of her companions and the three of them exited the inn.

"Over here," Minion said, indicating the alley he'd used earlier. "I can disguise the three of us if we get out of the line of sight."

"I don't like having that alley at my back," Cacia said.

"It's better than having soldiers at your back," Dominae said.

Cacia nodded and the three of them escaped into the alley. Minion held the hands of the two girls and murmured something softly. "There," he said, after a few moments.

"What did you do?" Cacia asked.

"I made us harder to see," Minion said.

"I can't see any change," Cacia said. "Can you, Domi?"

"No," Dominae admitted.

Minion smirked and let go of Cacia's hand. Cacia gasped and whirled around. "What the...? Where are you guys?" Minion's hand reached out and closed on Cacia's again. "Is that what it does?" She took a breath. "Wow. Dominae, you ought to try that."

Minion squeezed Dominae's hand a little tighter. "I'll let go if you like," he said.

"No," Dominae said. Her palm felt slick. "Not this time. Plenty of time for that later."

Minion nodded. "We'll want to be quiet," he said. "This disguises how we look, not how loud we are."

"Got it," Dominae said. She turned her head and looked at the mouth of the alley. "Can we go closer?" she asked. "I think something's happening."