Chapter Seventeen

They didn't eat before going out. Dominae's stomach was full of butterflies, fluttering their wings against her baby and tickling it. She felt ill before they ever stepped into the dark streets. No words were spoken between the four of them. They'd mapped the route painstakingly over the past few hours, until Minion and Eddie deemed it was the right time to act. Now that they were out, Dominae wasn't so sure it was the right time.

Doubt assailed her as she followed her friends though the streets of the village. The inn was still lit and rowdy, but most of the other buildings were dark cubes, hunkered down to the ground to sleep. Minion led the group, with Cacia behind him, and Eddie next. Dominae brought up the rear. She's almost insisted she be in the rear, since she wasn't going to be in a dangerous position during the raid.

Eddie took the lead when they reached the alleyway. He felt along the bricks in the wall for the latch that swung the metal grate open, then stood aside as the other three filed in. Eddie closed the grate after them, and leaned against the wall. "Good luck," he whispered.

Dominae went a little way down the dark hallway, exploring with her friends. They'd all seen the map. When she found the small alcove that Eddie had indicated, she settled into it to wait. "You'll be all right?" she asked Cacia and Minion.

"We'll be fine," Cacia whispered back, grinning in the almost pitch black of the underground dungeon. Dominae was reminded of old torture chambers. "By the end of the night, we'll have our Sara back."

"Yeah," Dominae said. "Be careful, you two."

"We will," Minion said. He took Cacia's hand and led the girl away, leaning Dominae to stare into the darkness after them, completely alone. She settled in to wait.

###

Minion and Cacia moved away from Dominae in the darkness. Cacia felt the comforting presence of Swift Tail on her shoulder as she followed the demon deeper into the dungeon. They seemed to walk forever in the darkness before Minion said, "I think I see the break Eddie spoke of."

Cacia squinted. Finally she located the small crack that leaked light into the darkened passage. "I see it," she said, crouching down for a closer look.

Movement on the other side of the wall startled her. Cacia sat back and looked up at the Minion. By now, it had attracted his interest, as well. The two remained silent, trying to decide what was happening on the other side of the wall. Restless movements seemed to shift on the other side of the wall. There were no voices. Cacia and Minion exchanged a look.

Finally, Minion waved Cacia back. She stood obediently and scooted away from the wall. Minion lowered his hand and touched the bricks. They gave with very little pressure, grinding softly, stone against stone. He looked up at Cacia, shrugged, and pried the first of the stones away.

The movements had stopped. Minion's sharp ears caught the lack of noise, even below the sound that the stones made as he worked them loose. His first glimpse of the room beyond revealed nothing other than a square cell. It took a couple of more stones before he could make out the shape, huddled in the darkness. He glanced at Cacia. There was no way he could squeeze through the small opening, but she would be able to, with a couple more stones gone.

Cacia asked, "What do you see?"

"There's someone in there," he told her, "but I don't know if it's her or not."