Chapter Seven

The road led them from town to town and inn to inn. Dominae estimated they'd been traveling for nearly a month, and her companions weren't getting along any better. They were stopped at a small inn when she woke up feeling awful. She leaned over the side of the bed and tried not to throw up. It didn't get her very far, and in the end, she made it almost to the bathroom before she lost the remains of her late night snack. Minion was propped up on one elbow, watching her. Dominae gave him a miserable look. "I don't know if I can go anywhere today," she said.

"We can call a rest," he suggested. "We're ahead of schedule, anyway, since we made up a day at that last inn."

She nodded, still feeling ill. "That might be best," she said. "Will you-- tell the others? I don't think I can make it."

Minion gave her a wry look. "Let me get Cacia in here," he suggested. "They're more likely to believe her than me."

"I forgot," Dominae murmured. "I don't care what you do, Minion, so long as someone tells them that I'm not leaving this spot."

He nodded and stood. "I'll fetch Cacia, then," he said.

"You do that," Dominae murmured as the door closed softly behind Minion. She settled back on the bed and curled up. At least she was starting to feel a little better. Maybe the tingo was bad, she thought. God knows I ate enough of it last night.

Minion returned with Cacia a few minutes later. Dominae saw the concern on her friend's face. she tried to smile, but it felt like a grimace. "Not feeling well, huh?" Cacia asked sympathetically.

"Miserable," Dominae said. She saw that the minion was cleaning up where she'd been sick, and turned her head away, lest she be sick again. "I don't know what it is."

Cacia pressed her hand to Dominae's forehead. The touch was cool and comforting. "You aren't warm," Cacia said, looking puzzled. She glanced to where Minion had finished his cleaning. "Did you eat anything weird?"

Dominae laughed. "Everything I eat is weird." she said. "I had a lot of tingo last night."

Cacia frowned and nodded thoughtfully. "Maybe it's the flu," she said.

"Knowing my luck, it's the plague," Dominae said.

Cacia shook her head. "You're not rotting inside, no matter what you think, Dominae. Maybe you just overindulged last night."

"Maybe so," Dominae agreed. "But I'm going to sleep. Will you tell the others that we'll be staying here an extra day?"

"Sure," Cacia said. "I'm sure we can all use the rest. I know I can."

"I'll go with you," Minion said.

"No," Cacia told him, turning to watch as he approached the bed. "You stay here with her, in case she needs anything. Don't worry, either of you. I'll take care of things."

"Cacia, you're an angel," Dominae said.

Cacia chuckled. "I hope you mean the feathery kind," she said, standing. "Rest, Dominae. We'll be all right."

Dominae nodded. When Cacia left the room, she was already drifting off to sleep. Minion stood over her and frowned, keeping guard.

###