Chapter Five

Cacia looked much more composed when she and Dominae left the tent. The two girls broke down the tent in silence. Dominae kept casting glances around the camp. Soon, all of the tents were coming down. Dominae nodded her approval.

When they had everything packed and back on the horses, the group moved out. Jason walked sullenly near the end of the column. Ivy was the only one behind him, but that suited Dominae fine. She, Minion and Cacia took up places at the front, with Grey trailing them. Torrin had scouted on ahead, she assumed. If there was anyone she didn't have to worry about, it was Torrin.

Cacia and Dominae kept up a steady patter of light conversation while Minion listened. He seldom said anything unless he was specifically asked by one of them. It was easy to forget the presence of the mouse on Cacia's shoulder. Swift Tail's bright eyes flickered from one girl to the other, but he remained as quiet as the minion. Dominae didn't mind much. She and Cacia were speaking of home more than anything.

There were a lot of stories that started with, "Do you remember that time?" passing between the two girls. Reminiscing about home seemed to keep Cacia balanced and focused. It also made Dominae long to be back in the real world, and not tromping through the forests of the place she was now.

Around midday, they called a halt to eat and care for the horses. Minion drew Dominae aside. "Your world sounds fascinating," he said.

"It isn't really," Dominae said, blushing. "It's sort of boring. We have school and work and no magic. How could somewhere like that sound interesting at all?"

"Yet it draws you," he observed. "You long to go back."

Dominae shifted her feet. "Yeah," she said after a minute. "I do want to go back. I guess that makes me crazy. But things make sense there, Minion. They don't here."

"They make sense here," he said.

"Not to me they don't. We don't have so many of the things you do here. We have different things. Things I'm used to." She frowned. "And though I'm getting used to things here, I know that I'll never be as comfortable as I want to be."

"No one grows when they're comfortable," he said. "Growth comes from not being comfortable and wanting to change the way things are."

Dominae nodded. "I'm sure you're right. That doesn't mean I don't want to be comfortable, though. At least for awhile."

Minion smiled. "Of course," he said. "But what makes you think that you'll be comfortable when you go back? You've done things that no one else in your world has. They won't understand you."

"They'll think I've lost my mind," Dominae agreed. "But I'd like to go home, anyway. I want to be able to tell my parents that I love them, if nothing else. I didn't do that before I left. I wish now I had."

###

Two days of travel later, the weary party pulled into one of the "safe" inns that Perry had marked on the map. He knew the proprietor personally and had made arrangements for the lot of them to have beds to sleep in. Dominae was grateful to be off the trail for a night.

The inn was quiet and out of the way. Normally, it didn't have much business aside from locals. The landlord had prepared almost all of his rooms in anticipation of Dominae and her companions. Jason went straight to the bar while everyone else started up the stairs. Minion paused and said to Dominae, "I'll watch him, if you'll get us into a room."

Dominae nodded and continued up without her roommate. She was given a cozy room with two beds. When she'd deposited all of her things, Dominae came back down to see Jason deep in a drink and the minion watching the man warily. Minion turned when he heard Dominae on the stairs. He smiled and beckoned for her to join him. "Everything all right?" she asked.