Chapter Three

"You missed a good dinner," Dominae told Minion later. "Cacia rescued a mouse from being eaten by Perry's girlfriend."

Minion said, "Cats don't eat mice. They toy with them until the mouse dies."

"Whatever," Dominae said. "You're missing the point. She got under the table and fought Vega for the mouse. Came out all scratched up. Perry agreed that Cacia should keep it, so Vega got angry and stormed off."

"Why would Cacia care about a rodent?" Minion asked.

"It talks," Dominae said. "Damned smart mouse."

"I see. Did Perry get the party straightened out?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. He wanted you and I to meet some people tomorrow."

"What for?"

"Don't know. To see if they run off like that bard, I guess." She grinned. "Come on, Minion. Don't look hurt. You know I love you."

"I know nothing of the sort."

"Well, according to the rumors, I simply adore you. We aren't sure if it's because you have a spell on me, or if it's genuine, though."

Minion snorted. "As if I'd waste my time trying to put a spell on you."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Dominae asked.

"A spell wouldn't work on you," he said patiently. "You can see through any lies I might tell."

"Oh," Dominae said. "For a minute there, I thought you were insulting me."

The minion raised his eyebrows. "I wouldn't dare," he said seriously.

"Because I have power over you?"

"That, and because I care about you, Domi. I wouldn't insult you. You'd be worth casting a spell on, if you hadn't cast one on me first." He chuckled.

"Did I?" she asked. "Hmm."

"Now, about this rumor that you love me--"

"Adore!" Dominae said, throwing her hands wide. "Worship!"

"I wouldn't even joke about worshipping me," he said.

"Who says I'm joking?" She sat down on the bed. "The thing is, Minion, I feel safe with you. I care a lot about you, and when I heard the rumors--"

"Ah," he said. "You started to wonder if there wasn't some truth in them."

"No," Dominae said. "I started to realize that there was truth in them. Big difference."

Minion tilted his head. "You're serious?"

"Indeed I am." She smiled. "I feel something with you that I've never felt before."

"Are you sure it's not loathing or disgust?" he asked, sounding almost hopeful.

"Sorry," Dominae said. "It's friendship and adoration. I hope you can live with that."

"I suppose I must," he said. "Though I'm never going to live this down in hell. You know that, right?"

Dominae smiled. "I know," she said. "But I'm hoping that after awhile, you may not care anymore."