Chapter Twenty Five

When Dominae came downstairs, it struck her that everyone was there. Night had crept in while she slept, bringing in the usual crowd. Her friends were clustered at one of the tables near the fireplace. They seemed to be in their own little sphere of peace, somehow. She waved and went to the bar. "Hello, Riley," she said with a smile.

The bartender grinned and passed her a drink. "Lady Dominae," he said. "Good to see you."

"Thanks," she said, taking the drink. "Cheers." She wound her way through the crowded room, even pausing to wave to someone she knew before she joined her friends. "Good evening."

"You look better," Torrin said.

"I had a dream," said Dominae with a shrug. She saw interest spark in Perry's eyes. Dominae smiled at him and sank into the empty seat at the table. "It's going to be all right," she said. "We can go home and I don't need to worry."

"Must have been some dream," Sara said, sitting forward.

"It was," Dominae said, taking a sip of her drink. "But enough about that." She turned her gaze to Eddie. "Are you staying or going?"

"What?" The boy blinked.

"Well... it is earth, after all. Not your when, admittedly..."

"The world exploded in my when," he said sourly.

"Which is my point," she said. "It will be a long time before our when is your when. You may be able to prevent the exploding earth, knowing what you know."

Eddie chewed his lower lip and looked at the table thoughtfully. "I don't know," he said finally, raising his head to look at Dominae.

"We're going day after tomorrow," she said, "so you have a little time to decide, but not much."

Eddie nodded. "Where would I go, though? No matter when it is, I'm an orphan."

Sara said, "You could stay with me. My mom doesn't care. It might be kinda nice to have a little brother." She grinned and nudged Eddie.

"I'll think about it," the boy said.

"Great," Dominae said. "What's for dinner? I'm starved."

###

By the time the common room had started to clear out, Eddie and Sara were already upstairs, settled in and sleeping. Dominae remained at the table with Torrin and Perry. "Tell me about this dream," said Perry, leaning forward, eyes full of interest.

Dominae smiled. "Minion spoke to me." She saw the look that passed between the two of them. "And before you say anything, yes. I know it was him, and I know that he's dead. My call was so strong that he managed to obey one last time. He... He's free now. The gods took pity on him, and he was redeemed." She closed her eyes briefly. "We transformed one another, he and I. I changed his fate, and he changed my life. We spoke only briefly. But it was him."

"How do you know?" Torrin asked. "It could have been any minion."

"No," Dominae said, "because he came to me in his human form. What is now his true form."

Perry sat back. "Minions can't change forms in a dream," he said. Dominae nodded. "And what did he tell you?"

"He said... he said to go home and be happy. Not to worry because he was safe and happy, beyond being hurt."